some things just shouldn't be crocheted...

I'm thinking the crocheted tampon is more of a novelty or joke. At least, I hope it is!

Not a joke! This is a direct quote from link in 1st post:

Organic cotton crocheted tampons - better for the environment and better for you!

This pattern includes instructions for making regular and large size tampons. The Regular is the same size as a regular store-bought tampon, the Large is a tad bigger for those heavier days. I’ve created a special feature that keeps the tampons rolled up on their own, making inserting them and removing them easier, but they will unroll without help from you during the agitation cycle in the wash.

Care and usage instructions are also included in the pattern.

A skein of Simply Cotton organic cotton yarn from Knit Picks will give you approximately 20 regular sized tampons. This organic yarn is un-dyed and un-bleached. All colors are naturally occurring.

I don't even want to THINK about having to wash them afterwards! :eek Can you imagine???

How much grosser could it be than washing diapers?? As for the concern about re-usable tampons causing toxic shock: toxic shock would be caused by bacterial growing on the tampon while in the body, ususally caused by the tampon being in place for a protracted period of time, which is why tampon boxes recommend not leaving them in for over 8 hours and using a pad at night .

Yeah, people knit and crochet strange things all the time. Personally, I wouldn't consider the reusable tampons, but pads might be a different story.

People do weird things with even everyday items though, I read a woman's blog where she discussed receiving a cotton knit or crochet washcloth from a friend and used it in her bathroom to wipe when she went #1. She'd rinse it and then hang it over her radiator. She did it to cut down on her tp usage, but um...ew. I can almost understand doing it, but then to post it on your blog where the person who gave it to you can see that you are using it as "green" toilet paper?!?!

Hm. I think it's interesting actually. Not really "icked out" about it either. At least it's useful. Not to offend anyone, but I have seen some really ugly, useless things crocheted. I admire the hard work and time that the person put into making those items, and can appreciate the fact that it is handcrafted, and that that person is proud of their work (they should be!) Heck, I don't expect everyone to like the things I have made. So I suppose what I'm trying to say is "to each their own"

I'll stay with store bought, really because of convienience....heck, we used disposable diapers basically because I didn't want to HAVE to wash diapers all the time. But I have to admit, I have looked into making reusable pads, it's actually very popular nowadays, just have never gotten around to doing it.

Even if there is no danger of Toxic Shock Syndrome, my thoughts about bleach are that we would want to use bleach when washing them to make sure bacteria is killed. Then, to have a bleached item up against your skin is one thing, but to have it touching those delicate tissues inside is another matter. I'm cautious about any chemicals that could burn or hurt you in such a manner.

About the bleach....the people that are actually making and using these probably are not using bleach anyways! I bet they use white vinegar, which is completely non toxic, and actually is a better cleaner, stain remover and anti bacterial then bleach is anyways.

Even if there is no danger of Toxic Shock Syndrome, my thoughts about bleach are that we would want to use bleach when washing them to make sure bacteria is killed. Then, to have a bleached item up against your skin is one thing, but to have it touching those delicate tissues inside is another matter. I'm cautious about any chemicals that could burn or hurt you in such a manner.

Well, disposable tampons and pads are processed using bleach. That's why they're white ;) I think though, that someone "crunchy" enough to use something like this is probably using vinegar or another 'earth-friendly' way to clean them, like a pp mentioned.

Archived