Mixing yarns

shelain22

Question

Last night I got the itch to make a star afghan for mt dd, due in 3 weeks. I tried beths pattern but I just couldent figure it out.After some searching I found one on angel crafts site that was MUCH easier to follow.I went to wallmart and got red heart suoer saver in yellow and blue, I thaught that would look nice.I have done a yellow center and a blue stripe and I started looking in my yarn stash and I have enugh baby stuff to make a really pretty scrap afghan out of this. My question is, can I add some of my fingering weight to the sport weight that I already have going? Most of my pretty colors are sport or other baby yarn that is finer in texture than what I have started with, or should I just stick to the yellow and blue.

Thanks in advance for the help

Valerie

8 answers to this question

I think that would work but I dont have two of any one color. I would go get some more but I had to order this and I can never find fingering weight in stores. I have about 9 small skiens of fingering weight and anly 2 of them ae the same color. I think maby I should just save the fingering weight for anouther project but I love the way it feels, It's kinda like money, I know its there and i want to use it.

Thank you for the idea

Valerie

If you are working in the round, the fingering weight will make a thinner, less thick round. It won't show up as clearly as the worsted so if you do one round of fingering, one round of worsted, one round of fingering - the fingering may get "lost" in the worsted. However, if you're okay with that, there's no reason you can't try it.

I wouldn't personally combine the fingering and worsted in a "row" afghan because the row will sort of bow in at that point where the thread is thinner even though you have the same number of stitches on the row.

As someone already said, you could double strand it, even using complementary colors if you don't have enough of a single color for one round. It would sort of give the look of a variegated yarn.

Now what about this pattern you found? Can you share the link? I have made Beth's pattern and didn't have any trouble with it, but I'd love to see another version. Can't have too many patterns. :-)

here is that site I followed.

http://www.angelcrafts.net/members/sixpointroundripplebabyafghan.html

It was so much easier to sart this one, However for this I wanted to have sort of a scrap afghan look but when I got the colors togeather they just didnt look good. They looked great when they were laying on the floor side by side, so the blanked is not going to be for the baby, I am giveing it, in a smaller version of course, to our new german shephard cheif. He's 7 weeks old and he misses his momy :cry In the mean time, I am going to make a pink, red and white round ripple I saw posted here a few days ago. Just waiting for my hubby to get back from memphis with the yarn:cheer

I just started Beth's pattern yesterday for a star - I found the beginning incredibly confusing as well and started over about 5 times. I finally figured it out - so if you want to ever give it another try I'd be happy to share my "tips".

SuperSaver is worsted weight, not baby weight. You might be able to mix sport weight and fingering weight without too much trouble--I did it once on a dress, but IMO there's just too much of a difference between WW & FW for it to really work. You can, of course, use the fingering-weight for an edging or something of the sort.

Archived