A book, just 1 book?

You, HEY you, yes YOU, stop looking around to see who I am talking to, Do you see anybody else? No you don't Soooooo clearly I am talking to YOU!

If you HAD (you don't have to like it you just have to do it) to give me 1 instruction/pattern book or pamphlet/sheet what would it be? and why?

I'll break your rule and give you two, but for different reasons. If I was to recommend a booklet to someone who had absolutely no idea how to crochet AT ALL, I would recommend "10-20-30 Minutes to Learn to Crochet", it's one of those Leisure Arts booklets at the craft store. It has really straightforward instructions for the basic stitches and a few slightly advanced techniques and a handful of (not terribly interesting, but doable) patterns.

If I was to recommend something for someone who already knows the basic stitches and wants a little more knowledge and some fun patterns, I'd recommend "The Happy Hooker" by Debbie Stoller.

I've never had anyone show me how to crochet, and between those two books and the "Crochet Help" section on this forum I think I can give just about anything a try.

As far as patterns go, I have some afghan pattern books, but for other things I like to just surf the web and use the ad links on this site to find individual patterns to purchase. I'm finding way too many, btw. I think I'm probably set for the next five years.

I own more than 10 learn to crochet type books, and the one I return to again and again is Maggie Righetti's "Crocheting in Plain English." I have the original book, but there's a new version just out in 2009. She teaches you how to read patterns in the most effective way I've ever seen.

I own more than 10 learn to crochet type books, and the one I return to again and again is Maggie Righetti's "Crocheting in Plain English." I have the original book, but there's a new version just out in 2009. She teaches you how to read patterns in the most effective way I've ever seen.

I agree completely! It's a book that you will use long after you've mastered the basics.

I have the first ed. of Vogue Knitting 1989 and I swear by the book because even though it's not crochet it explains clearly shaping armholes and designing features that you need to know for clothes such as collars, pockets, how to sew zippers, etc. It gives body measurements and if you do want to knit, it is the BEST book for knitting, especially for those who rely on pictures. The pictures in the book are superb. I found it at our local book drop.(It was a library throw away). I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to work with yarn.

I just spent 5+ hours walking up & down and back & forth, checking every end cap, looking behind every book in 3 differant stores and guess what I couldn't find??? You guessed it didn't you? Maggie Righetti's "Crocheting in Plain English" - MDickens had told me earlier today that she swears by that book so I went looking, I didn't come home empty handed, but thats a differant story - I am a "Shopper Without A Clue" :eek

My grandmother taught me to crochet years ago, after awhile, I got "Susan Bates" Learn to Crochet (list price $3.50). I still refer to it when I come across a stich I haven't used in awhile because the pictures are very clear. I also inherited "the Bernat Book of Complete Crochet" (list price $1.25!) that I use. Very basic and old, but do the trick. I am going to check out some of the other books listed here!

Archived