Cheap places for Cotton Yarn

There's a lady who loves to knit washcloths and she is in our group. I would like to purchase some cotton for her for her washcloths. Does anyone know a place where I can order a bunch of cotton and the shipping charge doesn't kill me?

Or are there any sales around at the usual locations? HL, Michael's, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated.

:manyheart

Cones of P&C are fairly cheap (less than $8) at Walmart, tho they don't have much of a selection in colors. You can order straight from the factory online, but they ship UPS, & shipping is high. Best bet is probably to watch your local sales for individual balls.

Watch www.hobbylobby.com (was craftsetc.com--same company, just changed the name). They will have all their yarn for 25% off and sometimes will have free shipping for an order of $25 or more.

They haven't been doing the 25% sales anymore. :cry But they do still have the free shipping...

As far as cheap cotton... Walmart is the best everyday price, but you can watch Michaels and A.C. Moore. Both occasionally put it on sale for around a dollar a skein.

I'll have to check out Wally World and see what I can find. I have bought a couple of them on sale for about $5 for the cones.

Thanks.

Linda:manyheart

I'll have to check out Wally World and see what I can find. I have bought a couple of them on sale for about $5 for the cones.

I forget which brand it is but whatever they stock at the Wally World, I've found it to be not very colorfast. I bought some black cotton yarn there and the black dye actually came off on my hands while I was working with it. So if it's for washcloths from WW, probably best to get light colors.

I forget which brand it is but whatever they stock at the Wally World, I've found it to be not very colorfast. I bought some black cotton yarn there and the black dye actually came off on my hands while I was working with it. So if it's for washcloths from WW, probably best to get light colors.

It's peaches n cream. Any of the dark or bright colors will fade like that. Especially the black, red, and dark green. I have found that the lighter colors don't fade nearly as much if at all.

If you were closer, I'd offer to get you some at Crafts 2000. They charge $6.47 a pound for cotton mill ends. Mostly there's one color in a pound bag, but that does vary, and you never know what colors they're going to have. I don't think it would pay to ship that, though.

My AC Moore will carry pound bags of mill ends in cotton for around $7.00. With a 40% off coupon I get in the paper and/or e-mail it makes a great deal. Very limited colors but for an inexpensive gift, it's a great buy!

Hobby Lobby carries 1 pound cones of Lilly sugar and cream in white and ecru, for $10.99, BUT they frequently have a coupon that is 40% off a single item...so that would be $6.60. They also have kits available that contain 3 large skeins, each being 14 ounces of colored yarn (in coordinating colors) as well as a pattern for $24.99 (minus %40 with a coupon, would be $14.99) That would be 2 pounds, 10 oz. of colored yarn for $14.99, which is not a bad deal at all!

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?dep=20&cat=54&subcat=0&IsOnSale=0&IsFeatured=0&IsNew=0&ItemId=115779

all cotton fades. for dish cloths it really doesn't matter, but if you are doing other things you can wash in vinegar & water, or with salt for better color fastness, the for regular washing use the detergent for dark colors.

I asked different members of our group if they had any they could spare from their stash, and I was given a whole hobby Lobby bag full of yarn for her. I dropped it off, and she was so happy. It will keep her busy for a while.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

:manyheart

The Michael's I go to had Sugar'n Cream for $1 a skein a couple of weeks ago. I need to weigh the skeins to compare with older ones. The ones the last year or two seem smaller. Hobby Lobby sometimes has I Love This Cotton on sale.

If you can get coupons to buy cones at Michael's, that'd be a good deal. I don't know if JoAnn's still carries them, the Hobby Lobby near me stopped carrying cones.

Archived