I'm soo confused!

Hi everybody. I really want to learn to crochet and so I read some things but I still really do not understand! I joined here to see if anybody could help me! If you can it would be much appreciated. Any explanations or really good websites would help. Thanks!

YouTube!! They have some of the most wonderful, and informative videoes you could hope to find. You can also play them over and over to really understand what they are showing you. By the way, :welcome to the ville!

ok so I watched one of the videos and they ARE very good! So when I have more time I will watch more. But I was just looking at a little pattern I found that I would like to do and I don't understand like, how they describe what you're supposed to do. It just looks like giberish to me!!!

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70593AD.html?noImages=0&r=1

Could anyone explain this to me?

THANKS!!!

welcome to the 'ville. learning to crochet, it is the learning of any new skills (like when was a kid and we learned to write, it took practice and practice and even more practice to get good at it). it took me over 30 yrs to finally learn to knit, even though i knew crochet, so take it easy and steady.

maybe do some small squares initially, or scarves, to learn the stitches and techniques. Dishcloths are also a good practice pattern. The language will become clearer to you as you learn more.

you may want to write them out the abbreviations in the beginning (i'm thinking that may be part of what is confusing w/ the pattern you looked at --the "sc" is single crochet.) crochetpatterncentral is a good resource for information also. lion brand (site of the pattern you posted) also has a ebook you can download to learn to crochet with also and has a stitch tutorials for more advanced stitches as you grow in skill.

break it into challenges and work on 1 skill at a time. before learning to do a treble, you need to learn to single crochet. :) you CAN do it, and we are all here to support and help you :)

Sandy

ok so I watched one of the videos and they ARE very good! So when I have more time I will watch more. But I was just looking at a little pattern I found that I would like to do and I don't understand like, how they describe what you're supposed to do. It just looks like giberish to me!!!

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70593AD.html?noImages=0&r=1

Could anyone explain this to me?

THANKS!!!

Here is an explanation of how to read patterns, written by Jean L who is a member here http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

In addition to things on the internet, I think a good reference book is an essential tool. Your local library probably has Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. It really explains how crochet is constructed and how to read and really understand patterns.

Get Hooked and Get Hooked Again have some really cute things and good explanations http://www.amazon.com/Get-Hooked-Simple-Steps-Crochet/dp/0823050920/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264969099&sr=8-10

And, Welcome to the Ville:hook

I taught myself to crochet from a book called "I Can't Believe I Learned To Crochet In Just One Day". I know the book is still in print, though it looks different than it did when I bought mine about 10 years ago. Hope it helps, good luck!! :D

YouTube!! They have some of the most wonderful, and informative videoes you could hope to find. You can also play them over and over to really understand what they are showing you.

I agree, Youtube is great, Ive been crocheting for a few years now and I still go to youtubeif I come accross a stitch I have done before. Like at the moment Im about to start a baby wrap (my sister is due in April, its a boy and her fist child) and it is done in cross-stiich. So I looked up youtube to find out how to do it.

To fasten off: make one chain, cut the yarn about 5 cms away, draw through the loop and tighten - this will prevent unraveling.

With a yarn needle, weave the tail through the stitches to hide it.

Archived