What Wooden Hook Sizes are Most Popular

As you may have seen from my other previous threads "Hooked By My Husband" and "Oversized Hook - Now Available", my husband is experimenting with carving plain wooden hooks.

He has been working on more usable sizes and is slowly perfecting them, however I was wondering what sizes of hooks would sell the best. I told him that the larger sizes, L, M, N, P, & Q would be more popular because they are not available in bamboo (not that I've seen at least).

What are your opinions? Is it better for him to concentrate on the larger hook sizes or would all sizes sell well? Please let me know.

Here is a picture of some of his prototypes. The largest hook here is like an L hook. He is also trying to figure out a good way to get the appropriate mm sizing, that is the biggest obstacle at the moment.

0719001.jpg

I would LOVE a set of those larger hooks. Please let me know when they are available. One suggestion. I find the sharp point on my present Clover bamboo hooks actually causes PAIN to the point of wanting to get a finger guard like quilters use. If your husband can make a more gently rounded end I will love him forever...well at least be eternally grateful..I'll let you do the lovin.

Kathy

H, I, and J are the hook sizes I'm more likely to buy. I don't like the bamboo ones so the hardwood hooks in these sizes are great! I very rarely use P, Q, or even M and N. I have one or two of each and that's it.

Next thing you and your hubby have to get into is decorating them! Make something fancy on the tips or a finger rest in the middle etc. Make them your own, something you can't find anywhere else. That'll draw people in no matter what!!!

Good luck.

Oh, and i love the pointed tips on my other wooden hooks. It goes through the stitches easier and better. Bates is definitely preferred with me.

Do you have one of these? Knit Check

The holes have the mm size and the letter size listed.

I probably would be afraid to buy a wooden hook in a size smaller than H, I'd worry it would snap. With Bates hooks, the largest size they make in metal is a K, everything larger is plastic which I hate using. Plastic always seems to slow me down, it doesn't glide through the yarn the way metal or wood does. It's not that there is a rough spot or anything, just the plastic seems to have more grab.

I can't find the USB cable for my camera :thair at the moment, but as soon as I do, I"ll post a picture of the wooden hook I love so much. His look a lot like it, the one big difference I see is that mine has a flat finger/thumb rest near the middle.

Holly

I do have something similar with the mm sizing on it, but it is for knitting needles that don't come in 1/2 sizes like hooks do (ie a K hook is 10 1/2mm) also he needs something to form the wood to the right diameter that is reliable. They do make dowel makers for this purpose but most are imperial? (inches) sizing not metric and they don't have the variety of sizes that hooks actually come in.

He is trying to convince his buddy that does metal work to make something for him, but they both have alot on their plates right now. Hub is going on a road trip this weekend and his buddy is having to finish a trellis for a wedding next week. So we will keep plugging away and will let you know of new developments or products.

seems that the ebay sellers bigger sizes go for more than the smaller ones. I personally generally use J-K-N-P and less often, but often enough to mention, I and Q.

And *I* love Boye hooks. I like a little point on mine. But then I've never really been one to follow the crowd. lol

Archived