Should everyone ....(copywriting?)

Cordelia

Question

Should everyone copywrite their concepts and/or patterns if posted in public?

I do write patterns for myself usually and have now converted thse for "real people" to read. I did initially have a creative commons notice but removed it(on my page I posted my pattern).

I have come to find that "real pattern writers" find it laughable when amateurs post patterns and find it odd we'd need any protection. Guess most never started as amateurs!:P

So what should I do add it and keep it, the creative commons or just tell me, its a simple idea anyone could of come up with it?

So whats a amateurs to do?:think

4 answers to this question

Yep sure it... I do copyright my photography BUT was unsure if since these arent "stellar" designs, if it were reasonable to post creative commons.

I do not want money for use or fame but would like to protect what is my concept, you know?

Oh well, I'm gonna add Creative Commons and if its laughable to the pros, sobeit!:P

I find it odd the elitist attitudes...doesnt everyone have to start somewhere?

Now to figure out which creative commons to use?:think

It is my understanding that once I commit my design to a form that can be passed around. Be it written, recorded, photograghed. ect it is automatically protected. They changed the laws, I do believe when they realized they could never keep up with all the material being presented to them for copyrighting.

I do make sure I date everything and I keep all my rough drafts as proof that I agonized over the concept that I am presenting as my own. And I am DA*** Sure it is my own Idea before I present to the public. I never want to fight with some one over that issue.

I am no expert on this, but I have read the copyright laws and this is how I understand it. Go to the US copyright site and you can read it for yourself.

It is my understanding that once I commit my design to a form that can be passed around. Be it written, recorded, photograghed. ect it is automatically protected. They changed the laws, I do believe when they realized they could never keep up with all the material being presented to them for copyrighting.

I do make sure I date everything and I keep all my rough drafts as proof that I agonized over the concept that I am presenting as my own. And I am DA*** Sure it is my own Idea before I present to the public. I never want to fight with some one over that issue.

I am no expert on this, but I have read the copyright laws and this is how I understand it. Go to the US copyright site and you can read it for yourself.

I agree with what you are saying. That is how I understand it, too. They just recently changed it, from what I can tell. Others will still tell you differently, but just ask them to go read the changes. I was told recently that my stuff wasn't protected, but it says pretty obviously on the website that it is protected from time of creation by owner. I always handwrite my patterns out before I type them up. I keep the handwritten versions in the same notebook. The photos I take either have me, a close friend, or some item in it where I can prove that it's mine. I can use these and other things to prove that I was the designer of that pattern. It's not just the pattern that you have to worry about. It's the photos, too.

Archived