Best way to stuff a toy?

hi. i'm making my son a stuffed toy. my first stuffed toy. i'm using dark chocolate brown yarn so i'm concerned that the stuffing will show thru it. will it show? will it come out?

what is the best way to stuff this? i read somewhere once to stuff the stuffing in a cut off panty hose and use that, but my question about that is this: i'm making a gingerbread boy with arms and legs. how do i get the stuffed pantyhose to go in the arms/legs?

any ideas or other suggestions?

thanks so much :)

if you dont overstuff it the stuffing should not come out or really be noticeable. It also depends on how tight your stitches are and what size hook you use. I have used all different size hooks and yarn and have never had the stuffing come out or see thru it enough. I would suggest if the arms and legs are long I would stuff as you go so it isnt so hard or if there are small hands or fingers definatly stuff those as you go. I think the panty hose thing is for pellets. I have never used pellets before but I have seen them at Hobby Lobby recently in the doll section.

But Im sure the gingerbread man will be fine! It will get you hooked on toys though!

thanks girls. i'm using red heart SS and a normal SC stitch. i'm not doing it super tight like i've seen some stitches in ami's.

the gingerbread man is only about 6/7" tall so the arms/legs aren't too long. the arms are only 7 SC long. i'll fiddle around with it with the panty hose to see if that works if not, maybe i will stuff the legs first and then i can use the pantyhose idea for the body.

You could stuff it with the same yarn you are using for the body. That way if it shows through it will be the same color. Since it is relatively small, and the yarn is one of the more inexpensive ones, that can be a good solution.

thanks girls. i'm using red heart SS and a normal SC stitch. i'm not doing it super tight like i've seen some stitches in ami's.

the gingerbread man is only about 6/7" tall so the arms/legs aren't too long. the arms are only 7 SC long. i'll fiddle around with it with the panty hose to see if that works if not, maybe i will stuff the legs first and then i can use the pantyhose idea for the body.

If the arms/legs are so small don't use stuffing, just wad up the pantyhose and use that as stuffing.

:turtle:vheart

thanks everyone for the advice. i ended up using the yarn for the stuffing. that was a great idea and worked great. i'll post a pic in the show n' tell later today

You could stuff it with the same yarn you are using for the body. That way if it shows through it will be the same color. Since it is relatively small, and the yarn is one of the more inexpensive ones, that can be a good solution.

That's a great idea!

I've cut old (clean) pantyhose into strips and used it to stuff a few things with. It's a good way to reuse something that would otherwise end up in the trash.

Archived