organize patterns in Win 7???

Does anyone know the secret handshake that would allow me to organize my folders for crochet by "type" of files?

I always liked the tidiness of my XP folders when all of one type was together. I have enough trouble keeping my life organized without fighting Bill Gates for control of my own folders.

so far... I really, really hate Win7. everything is harder and needs more steps to accomplish.

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question. What you want is something like:

Crochet:

-->PDFs

-->html files

-->Word Patterns

In the above example, you have a folder called "Crochet", and in that folder, you have 3 other folders each titled what type of file they contain.

or, do you have all your patterns in one folder and just want to sort how they are listed? If this is what you want, change the window to the detailed list, and select the column header of "type" to arrange by file type.

If you need screenshots or better details, let me know, and I'll happily take screenshots this evening.

--adam

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question. What you want is something like:

Crochet:

-->PDFs

-->html files

-->Word Patterns

In the above example, you have a folder called "Crochet", and in that folder, you have 3 other folders each titled what type of file they contain.

or, do you have all your patterns in one folder and just want to sort how they are listed?

--adam

the bold is the one. I have several folders and they all contain a mix if pattern formats.

I have Vista, not sure if I can help but I've heard it's similar...(I hear you about getting used to new "stuff". I also upgraded to office 2007 and it's driving me nuts)

If you want to leave the contents of the folders as is, just sort by file type:

Change the view to "details"

Click the heading 'type', it will sort by file type.

Edit, I hope Win 7 looks the same or close?

post-13625-135897485882_thumb.jpg

@ granny... I appreciate the help but that just makes life more complicated. I don't want to have to go through up to 4 steps to find a pattern. if I don't remember what kind of file I used for a pattern I will be looking thru all the folders in a folder :sigh .

I am already having to take 4 or 5 steps to do what used to be a one or two step task. Nothing can be done in 1 step anymore... even assuming i am allowed to do something. May God have mercy on the soul of all fascists on the planet. (cuz I have none)

I have been using them for about 25 years now myself. I started on a C64 when they produced the GEOS... boy we had fun on that old thing. i still remember playing `Legacy of the ancients`... I can still see one of those monsters when i think of it. :eek

:rofl

If you are trying to sort nested folders as well, that's a little more difficult. The picture Granny Square posted looks almost identical to Windows 7, so if you just wish to sort a folder by type, that is the best way to go.

If you are having to search through several folders inside your main crochet folder, use the search bar at the top right of the Folder window. Windows Desktop Search, which is built into Windows 7, will help you quickly find your file, no matter what format it's in.

@Darski, have you ever heard of '80s DOS? They have "abandon-ware" titles, and if you don't mind a little work, you can still play Legacy of the Ancients!

http://www.80sdos.com/legacyoftheancients.php for more information.

--adam

If you are trying to sort nested folders as well, that's a little more difficult. The picture Granny Square posted looks almost identical to Windows 7, so if you just wish to sort a folder by type, that is the best way to go.

If you are having to search through several folders inside your main crochet folder, use the search bar at the top right of the Folder window. Windows Desktop Search, which is built into Windows 7, will help you quickly find your file, no matter what format it's in.

@Darski, have you ever heard of '80s DOS? They have "abandon-ware" titles, and if you don't mind a little work, you can still play Legacy of the Ancients!

http://www.80sdos.com/legacyoftheancients.php for more information.

--adam

thank you for that... but it looks a bit different from what I remember. it has been a while -almost 20 years since I played it.

about the search - I`ve tried it with stuff but it is still annoying to have to do it. what exactly was wrong with having a VIEW option

I have lost control of my keyboard and hitting the Cont key is not helping. arrrrrgggghhhhh

I always liked the tidiness of my XP folders when all of one type was ...

so far...

I really, really hate Win7. everything is harder and needs more steps to accomplish.

I totally understand how you feel. I really, really, really hate XP and put off getting it as long as I could. XP had me in tears when I first loaded it on my computer. My brand new laptop( I'm using it now!!) has Windows7. Think this is the best thing since NT4 ( my favorite Windows OS). I 'm lovin' Windows7 and now XP will become just a bad dream.........

I'm on Vista but I was wondering if you could put a keyword in the title such as AFGHAN round ripple AFGHAN granny square or something like that so that all similar titles will be listed together. Just have to come up with key words for everything. I use MISC for all the ones that are hard to come up with a key word for. Keep us posted about your Win7 experience.

Archived