Ripples in the Water

solaceinmusic

I read this and started to laugh!! :rofl I though I was the only one that did this!! When I made my daughters RR it took me longer because I kept taking petting breaks. :lol

I fall in that category, too.

Hello, welcome. sounds like one BIG blanket :lol

Yikes... lol I can work w/ 4 strands but for some reason 2 always gives me trouble... go figure... maybe it's the hook size, 4 takes a Q hook and for me it's soo much easier to use for some reason....

Wow! Four strands!?! The most I've ever used is three strands.

I'm in. I have a RR that is only a fourth done and it's a Christmas present, so I really need to get cracking. It would help if the arthritis in my hands would calm down. I'm using 2 strands of ILTY in brown, toasted almond, forest, and light sage.

And after the first of the year I have two more RRs to make by Valentines Day. I have the yarn already, but neither one is started.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hi everyone! I've gotten a few rows done today so far, so I'm feeling good :tup

Thanks for telling us more about you, Sarah. I'm a SAHM too with one child, the aforementioned 4 yo DD who is sick with a cough and cold right now :( I crochet, read and bake. I often swear I'll never make another afghan again, but I always do. I typically prefer smaller, instant gratification projects.

I am currently working on a round ripple afghan for myself. Its in the Simply Soft Brights colors. It was originally a throw..then I liked how obnoxious it looked...so I made it into an afghan sized.

I would love to see an obnozious afghan! :lol Please share when it's done!

Here is a picture of my current RR. A little over half the rows are done but that's only about 25% of the crocheting.

very pretty. I really like the colors you're using =0)

I am currently working on a round ripple afghan for myself. Its in the Simply Soft Brights colors. It was originally a throw..then I liked how obnoxious it looked...so I made it into an afghan sized.

can't wait to see it =0)

I find it ironic that I could never manage to get past the 1st row of a ripple blanket using regular red heart I couldn't even finish half a row yet here I am doing just fine using a really bulky fuzzy yarn...

Also thought it was really funny, showed fiance what I was doing and he was asking what was wrong w/ my project... ummm it's supposed to be that way, it's a ripple blanket... :lol

showed fiance what I was doing and he was asking what was wrong w/ my project... ummm it's supposed to be that way, it's a ripple blanket... :lol

:rofl that is so funny Sarah! WTG, your progress is looking great. I guess you just weren't ready to ripple until now :wink

:rofl that is so funny Sarah! WTG, your progress is looking great. I guess you just weren't ready to ripple until now :wink

lol I guess. we'll see what happens when I go to work on the simply soft one and see if it'll continue to go for me :) of course I have to finish this one first (or maybe not LOL)

The first pic is a ripple my Great-Aunt, Stella, made me probably 25 years ago. She is the person who sparked my interest in crochet and got me started with the chain and single crochet. It matched my childhood bedroom and was large enough to cover a twin bed and drape some on the sides. She must have used a small hook because the stitches are tiny. Either that or it shrunk up some.

The second pic is of a ripple I am making for myself. Something more 'adult'. I am glad I had hubby take the pics for me to post because in editing and sizing them I noticed an error in row count. The colors starting from the top are camel, silk then sable. The second repeat of camel only has 2 rows instead of 4. I would have been kicking myself if I hadn't noticed until later.

post-23834-135897486757_thumb.jpg

post-23834-135897486761_thumb.jpg

The first pic is a ripple my Great-Aunt, Stella, made me probably 25 years ago. She is the person who sparked my interest in crochet and got me started with the chain and single crochet. It matched my childhood bedroom and was large enough to cover a twin bed and drape some on the sides. She must have used a small hook because the stitches are tiny. Either that or it shrunk up some.

The second pic is of a ripple I am making for myself. Something more 'adult'. I am glad I had hubby take the pics for me to post because in editing and sizing them I noticed an error in row count. The colors starting from the top are camel, silk then sable. The second repeat of camel only has 2 rows instead of 4. I would have been kicking myself if I hadn't noticed until later.

the first one is really pretty. the second one looks like it's going to be very pretty also, love the colors on it. are you going to go back and add two more rows or leave it as is?

I think I'm going to frog back and fix it. I have looked at the project again it is only short one row. Since I'm working in BLO, it was only the side in the picture that looked short, the other side looks fine. Which is probably why I went wrong in the first place. So I have a row and a half to frog to add one row and then the frogged row and a half to complete and I'll be back on track.

Here are a few more pics. The first is of a RR I completed for my step-daughter. She got the comforter set last year for Christmas and she picked the yarn to match. The pattern is Monica Kennedy's Little Boy Blue 8 point.

The second and third pics are two RRs I am working on for Kathryn's NICU babies charity. Both are using ILTY, the first one is sport weight which is my first attempt with this type of yarn. It's CrochetDads 9 point pattern. The second one I started out using AggieMays pattern but it was bunching in the middle so I did a little modification and ended up with 8 points.

post-23834-13589748681_thumb.jpg

post-23834-135897486816_thumb.jpg

post-23834-13589748682_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more pics. The first is of a RR I completed for my step-daughter. She got the comforter set last year for Christmas and she picked the yarn to match. The pattern is Monica Kennedy's Little Boy Blue 8 point.

The second and third pics are two RRs I am working on for Kathryn's NICU babies charity. Both are using ILTY, the first one is sport weight which is my first attempt with this type of yarn. It's CrochetDads 9 point pattern. The second one I started out using AggieMays pattern but it was bunching in the middle so I did a little modification and ended up with 8 points.

they are all very pretty =0)

I think I'm going to frog back and fix it. I have looked at the project again it is only short one row. Since I'm working in BLO, it was only the side in the picture that looked short, the other side looks fine. Which is probably why I went wrong in the first place. So I have a row and a half to frog to add one row and then the frogged row and a half to complete and I'll be back on track.

not that much then =0)

I have to exercise control at times when I see errors in something I'm working on otherwise I'll take something that is 2/3 done and frog it all the way back to the error to fix.... sadly that compulsion does not spill over into my cleaning or dealing w/ other chores LOL

my progress so far... on row 5.... I'm leaving out the puff stitches since the yarn is so fluffy they wouldn't show....

[ATTACH]13715[/ATTACH]

That is lovely.

I love them.

My RR is done in ILTY in brown, toasted almond, light sage, and forest. It's really, really soft and warm. It should be at least 60 inches across when done. It's for my next door neighbor/best friend for Christmas. As of this morning I have about 9 rows left to go. About half done with the crocheting.

That is lovely.

I love them.

My RR is done in ILTY in brown, toasted almond, light sage, and forest. It's really, really soft and warm. It should be at least 60 inches across when done. It's for my next door neighbor/best friend for Christmas. As of this morning I have about 9 rows left to go. About half done with the crocheting.

but those last few rows seem to take forever... I've noticed that one drawback to working in the round... the closer you get to being done the longer it seems to take

but those last few rows seem to take forever... I've noticed that one drawback to working in the round... the closer you get to being done the longer it seems to take

That's because it does take longer and longer to get around the farther you go. :lol I increase the number of stitches by 24 every other row.

That's because it does take longer and longer to get around the farther you go. :lol I increase the number of stitches by 24 every other row.

oh I know, I did my tree skirt out of a round and the end just never seemed to be in sight, lol but I don't know what my rate of increase was, I didn't write the pattern out as I went so until I do another one I won't know it LOL I've been asked to make another one so will use that as a chance to write out the pattern.

Archived