Print outs for teaching crochet ???

Do you give "Learn How to Crochet" print outs when you teach crochet? Whether it's a friend, a class at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, teenagers at school, adults in rehab, etc. If so, what is legal to print from the internet or make copies of? For example, is it OK to cut and paste the photos and text from say, RedHeart.com's "Learn How To" area into a Word document and print it for your students (and give credit to Redheart.com on the print out)? If not, what options are there (that are very cheap or free)?

Thanks for your help!

Kelly, most published information that you will find is currently under copyright protection. That means you cannot use it without permission of the copyright owner.

If you want to use material from the Red Heart website, you would need to contact them and ask for written permission to use their material. If they say no, or if they just don't respond at all, then you cannot use the material. If they give permission, you'd need to keep a written copy in your legal files in case there was ever a question about that permission in the future.

To avoid any issues related to copyright, if you don't want to ask for permission to use someone else's materials, you'd need to come up with your own completely original material: your own text, illustrations, photos, graphics, etc.

Since you can print for your own personal use, why not just give your students the website and ask them to print their own personal use copy!

Or, find an instructional book in print and have them purchase it or you purchase them and include the price in the class fee.

• 3 months later...

Hi there, I've made up my own learn to crochet handouts. I think that on lion brand's website they say it's ok to print them out as long as you don't change (their advertisements are still on the page). I'd ask first though before doing it or see if they say anything? sorry if that's not much help

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived