Snowflake Question

For those of you who make snowflakes, is size 3 thread too bulky? My sister REALLY wants me to make some for her but I don't think my eyes can take thread work...so would cheating and using size 3 be a mistake? I would really appreciate your opinions :)

I think some of the smaller ones would look fine in size 3. I've actually seen several made of sport weight yarn and even a few worsted. I wouldn't try for any really intricate details, but there are plenty that are pretty and not too detailed so they should work up good in size 3. Snowflakes are such a small, quick project, I'd say try it and see =)

I agree, it's definitely worth a try. I also would recommend a fairly simple pattern. But it does depend on the scale you want---some people like really big ornaments so a more detailed pattern would be good in sz 3 for that.

I've made lots of snowflakes, and I almost always use size 3 thread. I look for smaller size patterns, and try to avoid ones that have large open spaces.

I designed both these snowflakes using size 3 thread. Just so you know the top one hasn't been tested at all. The other one has been made by several people and I made corrections to the pattern.

Swayde, magiccrochetfan and leaette, thanks for your opinions, advice and encouragement.

missmaxx, thanks for the invite, I've been poking around a bit, the snowflakes are beautiful!

Gardener, your snowflakes are lovely, thank you for sharing them!

Y'know, I haven't looked! Any relatively simple snowflake pattern will do, though. Just grab a big ball of yarn and a P hook and have at it. They do fine outsiode for a while--suppose if you wanted them up all winter the water-based acrylic overspray would be a good bet so they don't biodegrade the way the bags are supposed to!

Archived