went to a craft fair today

and I went to see what sells and what doesn't in crochet (I usually make handmade cards and such but didn't get a table this year because I sold my stock of stuff last year) I couldn't believe how many dishcloth holders there were, you know, the ones that you attach to your stove or handles to wipe your hands (sorry I forgot what they are called) I am not kidding, in total we must have seen close to 100 of them (note to self: don't make plain ones) and these scrubbies that were made out of some hard stuff, they were crocheted but they were hard and small and very basic. Couple knitted dishclothes, not hats, couple scarfs out of eyelash yarn and thats it. Lots of jewerly, so I'm good to go next year, I can make anything.

i went to a craft show today, too. i saw lots of towel toppers but not crochet. they were cloth toppers and even some with purchased potholders as toppers. i also saw lots of crocheted dishcloths, washcloths, and afghans. one table was totally knitted items like the crocheted ones listed. there was a lot of jewelry. more jewelry than anything else. one table was woven things. we have a relatively new business in our area that teaches weaving. that caught my eye as something i might like to try. prices were reasonable but i didn't see a lot of people buying. they were mostly looking.

What OI always look for at craft fairs, especially the holiday ones, are things that I can add as special to my holiday decorations. A friend of mine found some holiday mice at a bazaar and they are the first thing she puts out at Christmas.

Not too many people have much beyond the basics. I understand making what sells and in quantity, but what would be wrong in having some more unique things as well?

What OI always look for at craft fairs, especially the holiday ones, are things that I can add as special to my holiday decorations. A friend of mine found some holiday mice at a bazaar and they are the first thing she puts out at Christmas.

Not too many people have much beyond the basics. I understand making what sells and in quantity, but what would be wrong in having some more unique things as well?

I agree. I think people sometimes get so used to the same thing every year, they don't look for anything new. I hate to play by the rules and always try to find something new to make that someone else has not thought of. :yes I think that unique is great, and there should be more of it!:lol

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Lately I have been going to craft sales and making mental notes on things I can crochet that are different and I don't see in every crochet booth. Although I do think the hats and scarves are something I plan on having next time I do a sale because they do sell well and can be so varied in styles and yarn type.

Archived