doily to capelet

I have an idea in my head for a shorter cape/shawl type thing...I want to use a doily pattern (and I have a few in mind). I haven't seen anything on my favorite pattern sites that matches the picture in my head. ("chanson en crochet" is the closest though--cat3crazy made one) So I'm wondering if anyone here has done anything similar. I have read in another thread that a 30 round doily makes a good baby blanket...which might be pretty close actually... But has anyone tried using a doily pattern to make a sort of "short shawl/cape", and have any suggestions?

Or do I just wait till I finish my current "long" WIPs and then play? ;)

TIA

Here is a pattern on LionBrand yarns by Doris Chan that is a doily shawl:

Pattern #20250

I also saw one the other day somewhere on the Web from a much older crochet magazine, made from a doily that is thrown over the head and around the shoulders. It was just a typical, round, pineapple doily worked in yarn.

Thanks! Debbi, I think I recall seeing that half-moon shawl, now that you mention it...the other one I don't recall. :P

Rennic, thank you...Doris Chan has lovely patterns...I hadn't seen that one before. I do enjoy pineapples, but I was thinking of something different. however, that should give me something to work from for ideas.

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions...keep em coming

Archived