Pattern copyrights

Does anyone know if it's permissible to share a crochet pattern that is out of print? I shared photos of an item I finished over on the board's 'Show and Tell' section, but felt so bad that I couldn't also share a link to sources for the pattern, as there are none to be found. I did see that couple of people were able to nail the pattern off from eBay, another might have from a site selling a variety of out-of-print patterns, but now the well seems dry. I sent a pm to Amy asking her insights as well as emailing Annie's Attic, requesting either a resurrection of the pattern or perhaps permission to share, but to no avail, not having received any responses. Does anyone know what the laws are for such a situation? It just seems kind of wonky that I can't share my copy of the pattern, but could sell it for an inflated price (if I still had the original). Thanks for any insights shared.

You can't legitimately make copies to share. If the pattern is from a printed source, and you provide the information about title, publisher, and so on, then those who want the pattern may be able (sooner or later) to find a copy, but it is a copyright violation to make or distribute additional copies.

You can always do anything you want with the single copy that you purchased--including selling it for a profit. If enough people want a pattern, sometimes a publisher will reissue it, and in this digital-era age, it's so easy and cheap for them to make pattern available in digital format that they find it profitable to do so. I can think of two instances where a popular pattern was out-of-print and being sold at inflated prices, and was then reissued in digital format. If enough people request it from the publisher, it might happen! Worth a quick email from anyone who wants the pattern, I would think.

If enough people request it from the publisher, it might happen! Worth a quick email from anyone who wants the pattern, I would think.

Thank you Karen! -Great idea! I took your suggestion over to the related 'show and tell' thread. Perhaps enough folks will send in their request, eh?

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1829765&posted=1#post1829765

Jeanne, woops! Your PM came while I was still at Chain Link. I wasn't able to answer it then, and I forgot to go back and answer it once I got home, since so many new PMs kept coming in.

Even though the pattern is out of print, it is likely still protected under copyright law. If it is still subject to copyright protection, you cannot distribute copies without the copyright owner's permission.

Cornell University has some great information about when copyright protection expires and published items fall into the public domain.

Out of print doesn't mean out of copyright, and if it was created since the 70's it's copyrighted for 75 years or 50 years after the author's death .

Ah, I see! -Thank you Granny Square; I wasn't aware. I appreciate the additional copyright details. It's always a good day when I learn something new. :) Yes, this pattern is from the early '80s. Annie Potter, founder of Annie's Attic, is the designer.

Is this what you're looking for? Look at the see more pictures and it's number 8... it looks just like yours but with a cuff added at the top...

http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=76568

Nope, the one I love is seamless, done in the round, Solace, but thank you so much for looking! I really appreciate your efforts. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived