Help!!

I don't know what to do.....:(

Recently we moved in with my mother-in-law, and I just found out that they have a "water issue" occasionally when it rains hard. I had 3/4 of my stash in the closet and am now finding out that 1/2 of that has been getting week when it rains hard. obviously not feet of water but a couple of inches.

My question is how can I dry that so it doesn't mildew or smell?

Thank you in advance.

Depends on what kind of yarn it is if it is acrylic I put it in a lingere bag or knee high panty hose socks in the dryer. If it is cotton or wool I'm not sure that would work unless you just put it on the air cycle. You could lay it out in the sun and keep turning it over.

You can also put the cotton in a knee high or panty hose and throw them in the dryer.

Since you are getting inches in the closet when it rains, buy a set of the plastic shelves and put them down on the floor. Just one shelf should do it to keep the yarn out of the water.

I had the same problem with a house I lived in and that was the solution I came up with and it worked.:hook

Damp Rid is a dehumidifying product usually found around laundry supplies in the store. You can use that to help with the rising damp.

For the yarn, you may have to make the yarn up into loose skeins and hang them over coat hangers in a warm dry spot to dry out. If you don't have a swift to make the yarn into the skein, you can wrap it around the back of a straight chair and another one set a few feet apart.

I have had success using panty hose or knee high stocking to wash and gently machine dry acrylic skeins of yarn that got wet or dirty before use.

If you don't wash all the yarn now before using it, make a note to yourself to wash the items you make from them so you don't forget they were exposed to dirty water.

Archived