Jongleur (n.)

yarnmom

1. A wandering minstrel, poet, or entertainer in medieval England and France.

2. A happy hat for the little entertainer in your life.

post-11538-135897421602_thumb.jpg

Materials Used:

I Hook

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Brights (Light Worsted Weight)

Color A: Yellow

Color B: Purple

Color C: Turquoise

Color D: Red

Tapestry Needle

Scissors

Gauge:

Not particularly important, since you begin with a chain for the brim that is sized to fit your little one.

Pattern Notes:

(1) Hat is worked in the round from brim up through crown.

(2) Foundation chain for brim is created in multiples of 4. To modify size, add or subtract multiples of 4 ch until desired size.

(3) From brim to crown, rounds are joined with sl st to first stitch of round.

(4) Crown is worked in continuous spiral without sl st.

(5) This pattern has only been tested by me. I apologize in advance for any errors. Please let me know if you find any and I will correct the pattern.

(6) You may only use this pattern for your personal use or for charity purposes. You may not sell the pattern or sell the hats made from this patern.

Abbreviations:

ch: chain

sl st: slip stitch

sc: single crochet

dc: double crochet

tr: treble crochet

PM: place marker

sts: stitches

sc2tog: single crochet two together

Size: 2T-3T (Can be increased or decreased by making starting chain longer or shorter by multiples of 4).

JONGLEUR:

Brim:

With A, ch 64 (or desired length in multiples of 4). Join with sl st to begin working in rounds. Ch 1.

Round 1: Work sc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to B. Ch 3. (64 sts)

Round 2: Work dc around. Join with sl st to first stitch. Ch 3. (64)

Round 3: Work dc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to C. Ch 1. (64)

Round 4: Work sc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to B. Ch 1. (64)

Round 5: Work sc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to C. Ch 3. (64)

Round 6: Work dc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to A. Ch 4. (64)

Round 7: Working in front loops only, work tr around. Join with sl st to first stitch. Ch 1. (64)

Round 8 (Creating Welt): Work sc around while at the same time working through back loops of dc from Round 6. (In other words, you are creating a welt by working single crochets to join the tops of the treble crochets from Round 7 to the free back loops of the dc from Round 6.) Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to D. Ch 3. (64)

Round 9: Work dc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to C. Ch 1. (64)

Round 10: Work sc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to D. Ch 3. (64)

Round 11: Work dc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to A. Ch 1. (64)

Round 12: Work sc around. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to B. Ch 4. (64)

Round 13: Working in front loops only, work tr around. Join with sl st to first stitch. Ch 1. (64)

Round 14 (Creating Welt): Work sc around while at the same time working through back loops of sc from Round 12. Join with sl st to first stitch, changing to C. Ch 1. (64)

Crown:

From here on, do not join rounds, but PM to note beginning of each round. In addition, divide sts equally into 4 parts and PM (preferably of different color from one used to mark beginning of round). If you started with 64 sts, then a marker would be placed on the 1st(i.e., beginning of round), 17th, 33rd, and 49th sts.

Round 15: Work 1 round of sc. (64)

[You will now begin decreases by working sc to each marker. After each marker, sc2tog.]

Round 16: Work sc to each marker, then sc2tog the two sts following each marker. 4 sts decreased. (60)

Round 17-21: Continue as established. (40 sts at end of Round 21).

After Round 21, work decreases every other round.

Round 22: Work sc around. (40)

Round 23: Decrease round (36)

Round 24: Work sc around. (36)

Round 25: Decrease round (32)

Round 26: Work sc around. (32)

Round 27: Decrease round (28)

After Round 27, go back to decreasing every round.

Round 28: Decrease round (24)

Round 29: Decrease round (20)

Round 30: Decrease round (16)

Round 31: Decrease round (12)

Round 32: Decrease round (8)

Round 33: Decrease round (4)

Work even for 2 more rounds, then break yarn and weave though sts and pull tight.

Weave in all loose ends.

Toppers:

Using A, ch 7. Work popcorn st in 2nd ch from end, then sl st back to beginning of chain and finish off.

[Popcorn stitch: Work 5 sc in specified st. Drop loop from hook. Insert hook in top of first sc in group. Pull dropped loop through st.]

Make toppers in B and D.

Fasten tightly to top of hat and weave in all loose ends.

post-11538-135897421606_thumb.jpg

post-11538-135897421609_thumb.jpg

That is so cute wish my kids were younger so I could make my oldest a hat like that since I know that she would love it

That is so cute wish my kids were younger so I could make my oldest a hat like that since I know that she would love it

How old is she? The hat should be pretty easy to resize, since you just make the initial chain to fit around her head (and make sure it ends up being a multiple of 4 -- go bigger if it's in-between). The rest of the pattern is the same then regardless of how many chains you start with.

Hope this helps! :)

My 4 y.o. DD saw that hat and fell in love with it. I guess if off to buy some bright yarn.

Kids only? Oh I don't think so! My Son goes to college and some of the other students hats are so creative! There is even one guy who de-fluffed a stuffed bear and made himself a hat. I can see college students wearing this!

Archived