Amigurumi: Yarn splitting w/suggested hook size!

Hi Everyone -

I have decided to wade in & try my hand at making a few Amigurumi's. I have several patterns I've printed off & my "big, tough" boys have each picked one they would like.

I understand rounds and reading patterns but I'm having a terrible time with the hook vs. yarn size.

All my patterns say to use an "F" or "G" size hook with WW yarn (a couple specify Red Heart), but I am splitting the yarn like crazy & am getting frustrated. I understand the importance of a tight stitch, but has anyone else had this problem??

I've thought about trying to use sport weight?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! BTW: We are going camping for two weeks and I'm wondering if these would be good portable projects?

Marie

hi marie!

i bring my ami project everywhare i go .. even to the restaurant! hee hee.. i used smaller hook rather than the one reciommended by the yarn ... i think type of yarns makes it split .. me got that problem at first but now... i can finish one ami a day ...

i think practice makes perfect... all the best and would love to know and see your amis ...

sue

Any small item projects are good for travel.

When I had to work with an F hook and worsted weight acrylic yarn, my hands hurt soooo bad. An F hook with worsted weight cotton is fine.

F and G hooks are recommended so the stuffing won't show through. Also sometimes the tight stitching holds limbs in certain positions. Depending on what you are making, you may be able to go to a larger hook rather than buying more yarn.

I usually use a G hook and don't have any trouble. You might try using an H hook, though, because maybe you crochet tighter than what the pattern had in mind. I would suggest just using a hook that produces a fabric that is tight enough so the stuffing doesn't show.

Sometimes, it is the brand of yarn that splits. There are certain ones that I won't use because of that fact.

Amigurumi projects are great to take with you because they are small. The only time I won't take one with me is if there are a lot of color changes.

what brand of hook you are using could make a difference. i love the "Clover Soft Touch" hooks. also i most always use a size E or smaller hook. if you dont get the stitchs tight the stuffing shows thru and also they almost require being over stuffed to make the features popout like they should.

I solved the problem by not using worsted wt. yarn. I used Paton's Grace, a sport wt. It doesn't split at all. I like the shine the mercerization gives the yarn. I also like the smaller size of the amigurumis that result. I use a 3.5 or 3.0 Clover Soft Touch hook.

The only problem is that Grace has a somewhat limited color range, but I haven't found a good substitute.

I have had the same problems in the past. I originally thought it was the yarn, RH Designer Sport. I emailed RH about another issue and happened to mention the splitting. Here's the reply regarding splitting.

"As far as the splitting is concerned, it is difficult to determine without a sample of the yarn. It may be more loosely twisted than it should. Splitting may also be caused by the type of crochet hook used (there is generally less splitting with an inline head as opposed to an A-line head), the way the yarn is held (some crocheters unconsciously untwist the yarn as they hold it) or other factors."

I had been using Boye Hooks (A-Line head); I then switched to Susan Bates (In-line head). I have not had splitting yarn since! I even switched my steel hooks and no splitting.

(And as an aside) Kudos to RH customer service; they sent me replacement yarn; however, they trumped it by sending me 3 skeins instead of one!

I had heard the way you hold your hook can cause a problem w/ splitting. The suggested solution was to turn the hook down a bit more. hope you find a solution. :)

kudos to redheart for the yarn. good customer service :)

Sandy

You wouldn't happen to be using Caron simply soft yarn would you? I do not like this yarn because it separates so easily, though I like the softness. I have not used it in years but because it is so soft I decided to try it again and am now making a shawl with it. It is a very simple chain stitch shawl so it's working out ok. I would not do a complicated pattern using that yarn. Experiment with yarns, and also using larger hooks. As someone said, in some of the patterns it would not matter if you use a larger hook.

......ok, I went back and re-read and see that you used RH yarn. As a rule I don't have a problem with RH and it could be that particular skein, or as some have mentioned the way you hold your hook can have something to do with it. I only use Boye hooks, I just can not use the flat type Susan Bates hooks. But I would seriously think about trying a larger size hook to make the toys with. They don't have to be a certain size.

Archived