Wow, didn't expect it to go to this....

Autumn

Went to our local Wal-Mart today and was floored. They are enlarging the store, but.....

The craft department is gone. Now it is a major electronics department. It looks like the open floor of the Best Buy TV department. With a curved fancy desk and all.

All they had was some yarn in a scant very short aisle with some Red Heart in only a few colors, along with a few colors of Baby yarn. Nothing else. In the middle of the store, in the baby department, no less.

What a shame.

I knew they were cutting out the fabric, but wow... never expected this.

It has been in the news that Wal-Mart will be eliminating their craft/fabric department. They will also be cutting way back on the amount of toys that they sell. They want to eliminate the cluttered shelves and aisles that force some people not to shop there. They are going to bring in more electronics and make the aisles wider.

My Wal-Mart still has the craft/fabric department but they did have a sheet of paper there with a petition for people to sign to keep these departments.

WalMart keeps coming up with more and more reasons for me not to shop there. I use to love them, now I can't stand going. With Michaels still not having put in their new yarn section here its all about Joann's for me then.

:turtle:vheart

It seems to depend on what store does what. The one closest to me has almost eliminated their fabric/crafts dept. The yarn is slowly going on sale, the fabric is entirely gone and the notions are being reduced little by little. They currently have it as a clearance department with items from different departments. The store itself is undergoing a major renovation. From what I understand, it will have a larger food department than it has now.

The other store a bit farther (but not by much) is keeping its fabric and craft department as of now. But who knows, that may change in the future.

As for the other two (there are four within a nine mile radius from my home), one has totally eliminated their fabric/craft dept (according to a friend of mine who recently went there for bias tape and found it gone), the other is a newer one with just a couple of aisles of crafts but I haven't been to that one either so I have no idea what is has now.

LI Roe

there are 3 walmarts where i live and 1 still has the whole craft/fabric department in it. i keep my fingers crossed everytime i go to look for yarn there. the shelves dont stay stocked up but i am thinking that is mostly the people that work there not wanting to keep it full. i see yarn piled on top of the shelf that could be in the bins.

Mine did this too. Funny that they sell some rotary cutters and sewing machines, but no fabric to cut or sew...and no sewing needles! Have to rely on Hobby Lobby now.

Archived