Help with yarn

koala

Question

I have a pattern that calls for fingering yarn. When I went to the store all I could find was reg. worsted and sport yarn. I know that fingering yarn is a thin yarn, but what would the difference between sport and fingering? The sport yarn I saw was pretty thin.

Deb in HOT and Steamy WI

10 answers to this question

fingering yarn is much thinner than sport yarn. like lustersheen is considered a fingering yarn. the difference is that the texture would be much thicker with a sport weight yarn than a fingering. if i can help anymore let me know:hug

Thank you for your help! I had to go all over town before I found a place that even carried fingering yarn!! and then this store only had white!! I did see some yarn called baby sport that was quite thin, but was unsure it it was thin enough!

Deb in steamy and HOT WI

Thanks, Sandie, for the yarn link. Part of it might explain why homespun is so hard to work with. I think I am crocheting from the wrong end of the skein!

I have trouble with homespun and some of those specialty yarns as well. I did find a yarn I really enjoyed recently. It's called Paton Bohemian. It's very soft. Needs a large hook. It appears to be perhaps two worsted strands together. The colors I saw were dark and it was more expensive than I usually like to spend so I only got one skein. I plan to get another, though, as it only made half a thin scarf. LOL But what a sofffttt scarf it is.

sandie, i love patons bohemian, your right is soooooooo soft, i made my dd a hat with it and she loves it. seems like all my hats disappear to her room:eek :eek :eek :eek as do the purses i have been working on:angry :angry :angry , today when i asked her if she knew where they were, she was like MOM you made those for me:( :( :( i said ummmm no i didn't:lol :lol :lol :lol . what color did you get? i used one that was like a rust color and tan. very pretty, and the secret to working with homespun yarn is to use a BIG hook, a size M or N works great, and you can usually find one of them at like joanns or michaels. hugs

My Bohemian was like a blue and brown mixture. I think my daughter bought the rust and tan one though. She has no problem with homespun or those kinds of yarns. She made a gorgeous afghan for her bed with black boucle - just a big granny square. Very soft.

fingering weight is also called lace weight

http://www.knit.about.com

http://www.crochet.about.com

there are many good articles on the above sites

yarn companies such as lion brand and patons also have good explanations of their yarns

also http://www.kaleidoscopeyarns.com

joanne

You could try one of the "sock" yarns that are so popular today. Anything that has a guage of 7-8 knit stitches per inch on the label. Since I like brightly colored things for kids instead of pastels, I have made baby clothes with bright sock yarns. Many sock yarns are a wool/nylon blend, so they machine wash well and keep their shape nicely.

fingering weight is also called lace weight

Actually, laceweight is thinner than fingering (in general, there's no official standard on this).

The majority of sock yarns are fingering or sportweight. If you need suggestions (fiber content, colors) of brands to look for, let us know.

Archived