I need help with a Pattern

Hi Guys, I am a beginner (crochet) and I am attempting to crochet a sweater for myself. I need some clarification on a pattern I am working on. I started the base stitch in Row 1, and now it is stating that I start another Row 1, which is waist shaping. Really I am not sure???

See pattern starting with the back:

Row1: SC in 2nd ch from hook, ch. 3, sc in next ch, *sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; rep *across, turn – 35 (39, 43, 47, 51) ch-3sps. (Does this mean that when I turn I do it 43 more times?)

Work Row 2 of CLS patt (see stitch Guide) 3(3,5,5, 5) times in first ch. 3sp. Waist shaping ( I do not understand this, why would Row 2 be placed dead center of the pattern?)

Row 1: (SL st, ch 2, sc) in first ch-3sp; *(sc, ch3, sc) in next ch-3 sp ;rep from *to last ch-3 sp, (sc, hdc) in last ch-3 sp, turn-33(37, 41 45, 49) ch-3 sps. (I do not understand it seems to be alot more stitches going on here and is this a second Row 1? )

I wish I could help, but I am no good with clothing.

Now you might get more response if you move this to Crochet Help in the Clinic section.

Sounds confusing to me, hope you get the help you need.:hook

Sounds confusing to me too ;) but i started an answer in the Help section. Good advice to post the question there, and probably less confusing if additional answers go over there, just thought I'd mention it. :)

Hi Guys, I am a beginner (crochet) and I am attempting to crochet a sweater for myself. I need some clarification on a pattern I am working on. I started the base stitch in Row 1, and now it is stating that I start another Row 1, which is waist shaping. Really I am not sure???

See pattern starting with the back:

Row1: SC in 2nd ch from hook, ch. 3, sc in next ch, *sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; rep *across, turn – 35 (39, 43, 47, 51) ch-3sps. (Does this mean that when I turn I do it 43 more times?)ok the way i understand it is, your size equals the 43 right? then you will end up with 43 ch-3 spaces.

Work Row 2 of CLS patt (see stitch Guide) 3(3,5,5, 5) times in first ch. 3sp. Waist shaping ( I do not understand this, why would Row 2 be placed dead center of the pattern?) there should be a stitch guide in the first part of the pattern probably under the gauge section. this will explain how to do this part.

Row 1: (SL st, ch 2, sc) in first ch-3sp; *(sc, ch3, sc) in next ch-3 sp ;rep from *to last ch-3 sp, (sc, hdc) in last ch-3 sp, turn-33(37, 41 45, 49) ch-3 sps. (I do not understand it seems to be alot more stitches going on here and is this a second Row 1? ) when you start this row you will slip stitch,chain 2 and sc in the first chain 3 space. In the next chain 3 space you will sc,chain 3, and sc. you repeat this part until the last chain 3 where you will sc and hdc in that space. you will end up with 41 chain 3 spaces.[/quote].

Hi Tonyal,

Once I am finished with the first Row1, should I start Row 2 of CLS pattern, or the second Row 1, which starts with the SL stitch.

I am so confused.

I think you might be confused about the *.

*sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; rep *across

They've actually placed the * wrong here. It's supposed to be

*sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch * rep across

So you do the *-* as many times as stated, all the way across, and THEN turn.

Little faults like this are common in patterns unfortunately.

Zenobia,

If the second row 1 is after row 2 then do the row 2 first, then the second row 1. Wow is that confusing.

Off topic here... You are the first person I have ever seen with my daughters name, Are you greek by chance?

Hi Tonyal,

Once I am finished with the first Row1, should I start Row 2 of CLS pattern, or the second Row 1, which starts with the SL stitch.

I am so confused.

Once you finish the first row 1, you do what comes next in the pattern, which is row 2 of the CLS pattern. Then you do what comes next, which is the Row 1 of waist shaping.

The way the pattern is written, it tells you what portion of the garment you are making. So it starts with the Back and tells how many to chain, then gives row 1 of the back. Then to continue working on the back, it directs you to "work Row 2 of CLS patt" 3 or 5 times. Patt is the abbreviation for pattern and it is in the Stitch Guide right above the directions for the Back. After you do Row 2 of CLS patt 3 or 5 times, then it tells you to start the Waist shaping which has rows 1 and 2 spelled out, then says for rows 3 to 5 you repeat row 2 of the waist shaping. then you have row 6, and then repeat row 2 of waist shaping 8 times.

Just do what the directions tell you to do, in the order it is written, don't get hung up on the row numbers. You can also refer to the stitch diagram on page 32.

Hope this helps a little:hook

I think you might be confused about the *.

*sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; rep *across

They've actually placed the * wrong here. It's supposed to be

*sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch * rep across

So you do the *-* as many times as stated, all the way across, and THEN turn.

Little faults like this are common in patterns unfortunately.

It's a small detail, but I actually don't think that is a mistake.:) it says " *sk next ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch; rep from * across, turn." It is not saying to repeat what is between the *, but to go back to the * and repeat from there. But you are correct, they could have conveyed the same meaning by putting the asterisks where you suggested, and then you would repeat what is between them.

Archived