One of THOSE questions

Ambersafghans

Question

17 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady
it's supposed to be
No "supposed to be", Amber. :D There is the way it's "generally done", but there is always the "way I've done it" that works, too.

One of the interesting things about many crocheters being self taught, is there is no right or wrong way to do things. Some of these techniques seem to be the way everyone else does it, but many are unique to individual crafts people as well as unique to families or locales in the world. How one holds the hook, winds the yarn around fingers.... Crocheters in the UK have different, very confusing if one is not aware of it, names for the common stitches. They are not right, nor are we. When strangers walk up and tell me I'm "doing it all wrong," I just smile and say, "Not wrong. Different than you do it, but not wrong." Most walk away immediately, but many sit down and start comparing notes.

So continue to crochet between the posts if you like. :D It's perfectly find, creates a bit tighter fabric and allows you to crochet faster! :cheer2 mmouseplus.gif

Another Libra heard from!! I too am not one for black & white. I think as long as you are happy w/the end results and are comfy crocheting a certian way, then its ok. And as long as the piece comes out the way its supposed to then it works. In any art there is ones own interpetation. I for one just do what I feel suits the piece I am working on best. After all that's what makes us unique!!

Kelly V

Guest SamplerLady
STANDARD is a good word to use here.. that doesnt denote rightness or wrongness..
I agree. A standard or commonly used is a great way of describing it. mmouseplus.gif

To me, correct and wrong indicated a black and white perspective, being a Libra, I'm just not comfortable with.
Being a Virgo, I am all about black and white. :D! Down with gray! :lol Seriously, though, if your projects turn out how you want, that's all that matters. But I think it's important to know that there is a standard way and to know how the standard way is done because otherwise you probably won't understand why your projects are not turning out according to the pattern.

Guest SamplerLady
There may not be a wrong way...But there is a correct way.

I would venture to say, perhaps, the most common way. To me, correct and wrong indicated a black and white perspective, being a Libra, I'm just not comfortable with. I agree with something being the most commonly used way, or such so there is a standardization. As we've often seen, though once we start comparing techniques that many of us do something one way, some of us another, and still we come out with similiar if not identical products.

It's a moot point and a matter of semantics for the most part. mmouseplus.gif

There may not be a wrong way ~ as long as you like the way your work looks and it fits then it's fine. But there is a correct way. That's not to say that you can't do it a different way, but it will look different and may not turn out like the pattern shows. Without a standard way of doing things nobody would be able to write a pattern and have it turn out correctly for everybody crocheting it.

Funny that you should mention crocheting between the posts, Amber! :D! I'm developing a pattern right now that uses that technique and I was wondering if there was a name for it because I hadn't seen it anywhere before.

Tighter huh? Interesting. Thanks Sampler lady. :D

I'll probably do that on granny squares and such. I guess I"ll probably take it one pattern at a time. Guess that's one good thing about crochet! No wrong way? That sounds good.

I guess if I ever teach crochet I"ll show them both and they can pick. :D

Amber

Interesting.

I've always crocheted between posts until recently I've noticed it's supposed to be in the chain. hm.

Okay. Thanks.

I guess this means I can't crochet without looking anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Amber

Guest SamplerLady
Between posts.
Yes, I often crochet between the posts rather than under the V stitches on the top. It creates a different effect. I like it in granny squares and other "fill in" areas. mmouseplus.gif

I've not stitched through the post, and I've not seen a pattern that would ask to do that. It would be possible of course, but kind of twiddly work. You can stitch around the post. That would specifically be a front or back post double crochet. The pattern would ask for it.

Archived