Favorite Wearable Designer?

Other than Melissa Leapman and a few other designers, I'm not mad about crochet wearable designs. I'm always on the hunt for a great crocheted sweater, for instance, but I never seem to find a pattern that I really like. I'm not wild about shrugs -- I prefer a nice, feminine sweater that's more practical than decorative (on account of it gets chilly up in our corner of the country). :wbrr

Does anyone have a favorite designer or source for wearables that they swear by? :idea

I just borrowed the book "Crochet That Fits" by Mary Jane Hall from the library and I must say I'm impressed! It's contemporary fashions and it sure beats the pants off my 1970s crochet mags. ;) There's quite a few things I want to make from it. There is a balletneck sweater in it that's very pretty and looks warm. Maybe get the book from your library if you can and flip through it to see if you like anything. That's how I always try to get books now. I never know what's in them when I order from the internet and the stores around here don't carry much of a selection.

Have you looked at Everyday Crochet by Doris Chan? She does a lot of lacy openwork designs but there are several more solid sweaters/cardigans in the book, for example Tall Latte as seen here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94816&highlight=chan

I just finished the Jewel pattern from the book and I love the way it fits. the shell stitch pattern is very adaptable to your shape, and drapey. You can make the fabric more or less open by using slightly different yarn weights, and stay within gauge. Everything is top down so is very easy to try on as you go. the written directions can be a little challenging, but everything is explained if you patiently read through all the info.

I love Doris Chan`s designs they are my number one , it is her designs that started me to make womens sweaters. , I love the versatile designs of Mary Jan Hall and Robyn Chachula so many more really to mention.

Another designer that I am enjoying her patterns is our very own Michelle who writes the "Without Seams blog , I am working on her Chevron Lace Cardigan right now for my Stepmother, great pattern and easy once you caught on to the pattern.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89304&highlight=Chevron+Lace+Cardigan

Archived