Crochet for Money

Hello, everyone.

It has been pointed out to me that I might need a second job, perhaps doing something with crochet. Are there any good books or web sites about selling crocheted items, either individually or at a craft fair? What sells the best...stuff like that.

I have also heard about being a pattern tester. I know I could sign up to be one with Crochet Guild of America, but I would have to be a member of Crochet Guild of America. Are there any pattern book publishers or crochet magazines that would let me freelance? Or should I just bite the bullet and join Crochet Guild of America.

Excuse me, I think I have to do some of this.:cry

All pattern testing is freelance. Pattern testing isn't steady work by any means. It is fun but if you really need to make money this isn't the way to go from my experience. You would be better off setting up an Etsy store or selling at a craft fair. If you are a member of Ravelry there are several groups set up just to help with ideas on making money from your craft.

Good luck :hugI hope you are happy and prosperous in your endeavor.

I have always kind of wondered about this and I think in a bad economy it's tougher to sell your work, because people kind of see that as a luxury expense. Some of the better online stores I've seen are people who pick a few patterns that they are good at and make them repeatedly, in different colors. For example, I've seen a lady online who makes baby blankets in pink, blue, yellow, green, white, etc. and also makes booties, bottle covers, and other accessories to match. Her store is very professional and I liked how she concentrated on one area and had everything coordinating. Something that would make a good gift for other people would probably sell well - baby items, crochet for causes (breast cancer, red for heart disease, etc) or crocheted jewelry or accessories. Just some ideas - hope that helps!!

I've only started looking into selling online, and it's more than a little initimidating. I've owned my own business before, albeit not a yarn-oriented one, but the hard part would be supplying the product, because we have to make it.

One of the things that freaked me out about this was going to get some yarn a couple of weeks ago and finding out that one of the two yarn stores left in Winnipeg is closing next month....ironically, for the same reason (poor economy) that makes some of us consider cottage industries to supplement our incomes.:( Do you have a reliable supply of yarn in your area?

Have you considered selling your patterns instead of the finished product? That might be something to do to get started. You could even try selling your patterns to yarn stores on and offline. I've gotten some really wonderful patterns in places in North Dakota and here in Manitoba from independent designers that work locally.

That, and people don't want to pay for all the work you've put into it! Too many people think everything should be priced like WalMart!

Oi, ain't that the truth... :(

Although, one of my woes is that people complain I don't price my work HIGH enough. So I'm at a loss. :think

I've only started looking into selling online, and it's more than a little initimidating. I've owned my own business before, albeit not a yarn-oriented one, but the hard part would be supplying the product, because we have to make it.

One of the things that freaked me out about this was going to get some yarn a couple of weeks ago and finding out that one of the two yarn stores left in Winnipeg is closing next month....ironically, for the same reason (poor economy) that makes some of us consider cottage industries to supplement our incomes.:( Do you have a reliable supply of yarn in your area?

Have you considered selling your patterns instead of the finished product? That might be something to do to get started. You could even try selling your patterns to yarn stores on and offline. I've gotten some really wonderful patterns in places in North Dakota and here in Manitoba from independent designers that work locally.

You made a VERY good suggestion when you mentioned selling patterns instead of selling finished products. If you're a talented designer, as some people here most definitely ARE, your patterns will be very popular and will be in demand. There are enough people right here in Crochetville to make a nice little piece of change with a great pattern. Patterns sell like crazy on Ebay also. And as long as it's YOUR pattern, you can do whatever you want with it with regard to how you offer it or don't offer it for sale.

There are quite a few things to think about here. First, do you want to turn something you love doing into a job? Do yo have the time to make enough items to sell to make the amount of money you need? Are you going to be able to price your items to make the amount of money you need?

Decide on something you want to make to sell. (Remember that you need to use a pattern of your own original design or a pattern that gives permission for finished items to be sold.) Set a price you think people will pay for that item. Figure out how many of that item you'd need to sell to make the amount of money you need.

Now, figure out how long it's going to take you to make that many items. Take the amount of money you'll make, subtract out the cost of supplies, then divide that amount by the total number of hours involved. That's the hourly rate you'll be making.

Do you want to invest that much time to make that money? Or would you be better off finding a part-time job that will pay a much better hourly rate?

If you saw the recent Martha Stewart Yarn Show, THAT's how you make money with yarn. :lol If it's unique and a little whacky, people will pay big $$ for it (and you get to be on tv w/Martha Stewart!!). Baby items always seem to be popular at craft fairs but like someone else mentioned, people sometimes expect Walmart prices for your handmade items. Grrrrrrrr. Go to Walmart then! ;)

Archived