Center Pull Ball Method

Um, what exactly is a nostie please? :think

First reading I thought it must be a typo :yes

Seeing it again I was thinking some kind of strange American word for a nasty thing in your nose...but what on earth would that have to do with winding yarn :eek

Reading further, it's apparently something that is bought in a shop. I am intrigued. Please enlighten me!

Nostie is a slang word for Nostepinde or Nostepinne. It is a ballwinding tool originating from Scandinavia. Spelling is different depending on which Scandanavian language is being translated. Basically, it is a tapered stick that you wind yarn on to create a center pull ball of yarn. There is a link here:

http://www.hatchtown.com/nostdir.html

Rereading the thread, I can see the humor when you read that using nosties came before using your thumb...

• 2 weeks later...
nostie is a slang word for nostepinde or nostepinne. It is a ballwinding tool originating from scandinavia. Spelling is different depending on which scandanavian language is being translated. Basically, it is a tapered stick that you wind yarn on to create a center pull ball of yarn. There is a link here:

http://www.hatchtown.com/nostdir.html

rereading the thread, i can see the humor when you read that using nosties came before using your thumb...

lol

When i bought some really expensive yarn from a specialty shop (silk yarn for a special afghan for my granddaughter's wedding gift, it did turn out beautiful) they winded the yarn for me but the best suggestion was to place the yarn in a zip lock back when i used it and just pull the yarn out through a small spot in the zip lock. that way it doesn't unwind and kept my yarn clean (i have cats and dogs). They said if you're going to spend that kind of money ($100) you don't want to waste any. fur sur!!

I bought a plastic yarn protector that looks like a rubbermaid container when I first started knitting, but now I use either 1/2 of a 2 liter bottle with a crocheted top to hold and dispense the yarn I'm working with or a small bag with a loop so that I can keep it on my wrist. I like the bag because I can carry my crochet with me and work on projects at the park. I like the ziplock idea though, because you can store it in the bag and then just pop the bag into whatever yarn holder you are using. I will definitely use this in the future!

Funny you posted this............

I placed a tutorial on my blog recently about center pull ball of yarn...

have a peek if you like ... you might like this idea too.

http://coffeencrafts.blogspot.com/2009/02/freebie-friday_27.html

:heart

:mug

just had to come back and thank you for sharing this, I tried this out yesterday and am winding my 5th ball right now, this is wonderful

just had to come back and thank you for sharing this, I tried this out yesterday and am winding my 5th ball right now, this is wonderful

:blushawh.... thanks sweetie! You know its bad when you carry a folded toilet paper roll in your purse and/or project bag. hehehehee

I'm glad you found it useful and apparently fun... :D

:heart

:mug

Archived