Star/Round Baby Afghan Question

This is my first post and not too sure if I'm in the right area......but here goes. I need to pick/choose a pattern pretty quick and get started for a new little family member.

This is my first time seeing the shaped afghans. I have always crocheted the traditional square or oblong afghans but to me they are darling and seems like they would be a unique, conversational afghan!!

I also do not know of any MOM's to ask if there is a difference in using these shaped afghans. There has got to be a "reason" and I haven't figured it out (since I'm not a mom) but do new MOM's like these shaped blankets???? Not sure if less "points" are better, easier or just what gives?

I'm willing to try one but after searching for patterns I haven't been able to find one that is tried and true. Can anyone that has crocheted one guide me to a pattern???

I am hoping someone can help me as I need to get started very soon....like today!!!

Thanks for your help.

Peggy Pennie

:cheerI had a round shawl which my mother knitted for my first daughter and 46 years later, it is back at my house.

I loved my round shawl and so did my sister (twice) and my daughter (twice) when they borrowed it.

My daughter now lives in France so she gave it back to me when she was packing up.

It will be a long time before she needs it for her grandies because her daughter is only just 13 so she thought it best to leave it at my house.

Now, I make Round Ripples for all the babies I know and so far the mums love them.

Maybe a rectangle or square is a little more practical but a RR looks great when on the bed or on the floor for the baby to lay on.

If you would like my Simple Round Ripple, please do not hesitate to ask.

:yayThe RR gives you more bang for your buck, well I think it does.:yay

I always make them in lots of bright solid colours so they can still use their RR when they are grown.

Hope this helps a little in your quest.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I was going to suggest Aggie May's RR. It is so easy and if you have questions she will be more then happy to help you out. I am addicted to the RR's now. They do look beautiful when laid out and the new baby is laying on them. When I make them as gifts I have been asking for pictures of the babies on their blankets. Everyone that makes them in all different colors they are all different and beautiful.

I'm throwing my 2 cents in for the rr too. I try to guesstimate what size would be big enough for a toddler and make it that big so that it will get a lot of use.

Round ripples are the ultimate baby blanket. Grown ups are much more rectangular in shape but babies are short and snuggly.

sew on fire has a decent pattern but the center is a little open for my taste. Aggie May has an awesome pattern. I totally suggest pm'ing her for it. It's really easy to follow. She's helped so many of us 'get' the round ripple.

They are super quick to make. The color combos are endless.

The bigger they get the more points I add to them. If you're going to make one that's 3 feet across for a baby then 12 points is fine. Once you start getting into 4 and 5 foot afghans then (and this is just my personal preference) you need more points. There's just too much uncovered space between them.

Here;s the link to my photobucket. There's a bunch of round ripples there.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/bugluv/

I've made several round ripples as baby gifts and they were well-received. IMO they are very easy to wrap a baby in, much easier than the usual rectangle or square. Plus they do look very nice when laid out. And the color combinations are endless. I've made them for both of my daughters in toddler-size, using the sunshine round ripple pattern (I didn't do the edging, though.)

Here is the link:

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474976910272

Archived