Now you know

swapnae

:soap

why I'm a Misfit (my blogging name)...I went into a bookstore the other day and asked nicely for crochet books. I was told that nobody does crochet much because crochet products are available so cheaply here. I could get lots of embroidery books if I wanted...:(

Trust me to pick the one hobby which can never be a paying one in India:blush

To underline this, today we went to a craft fair here and as usual there was a stall with crochet (all thread) items for sale. It makes you cry, but a 4 ft by 5 ft tablecloth sells for as little as Rs 150 (about US$ 3.60), while dresses for little girls are available at Rs 35 (less than a dollar, about 84c).

That tablecloth would probably take me a year to make!!!:eek:sweat

My husband says, (only half-jokingly) "You better give up this hobby of yours, it has no economic/practical value)....":ohdear

What is a misfit to do?!:shrug

I really envy all those living in places where they can actually sell things they make/give things to people who could use them. :sigh

I am weird!

Well, it's a little different in the USA but not much. I live in NYC and if you go down to Chinatown or to any streetfair you can find ponchos etc for much cheaper than I could sell one for. Granted, they're mass produced so alot of people will have the same thing, whereas mine are one of a kind, but still. People don't care about that. Everyone is looking for a bargain. Just be glad that you're not the woman who made that tablecloth.

Just be glad that you're not the woman who made that tablecloth.

Well, actually, as I mention around the net, these things are made by rural/traditional craftspeople, for whom it is the only means of livelihood. They obviously tend to work a lot faster than I ever could. Someone supplies them the raw material and buys the finished stuff from them. The tradition started with some American missionaries who taught these women (their forebears) the craft.

Oh my, I would love to buy several tablecloths from the dear lady that made them and pay her more than she is asking. It would cost a fortune and take me a lifetime to make one. I think I need to travel to India. My husband's first wife made and sold a tablecloth many years ago for $1200. A bit steep, but it was amazing and took six months to make. I wouldn't spend that much on anything my children could ruin with one easy spill. But I am glad she was paid so well for it.

Yarn and such being relatively expensive here, I am certain I could buy crocheted products for the same price, if not less, than I could make them for. I just cannot force myself to buy something I can well make myself. :lol It's similar if you sew. For the price of thread, notions, & fabric, you can probably buy something ready-to-wear cheaper...But it's the difference in having pride of creation or not.

Archived