Interchangeable Needles

DancingStitches

Hi - I am sure this subject has come up before but I have searched and cannot locate an earlier discussion. I will repeat the question. What is the general opinion of people here as to what Interchangeable Needles are the most recommended? I am considering making the investment in a good set but get confused on what is the best. Is it worth buying needle sizes that you may not ever used versus just buying individual sizes. I have addi's and they are very nice but the cable gives me some grief. Anyway, I could go on and on but I won't. Any suggestions from other knitters would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I own 2 sets of interchangeables....a Denise set and Knit Picks Harmony. The Harmony set is by far my favorite. The wood is very smooth, the join at the cable is smooth too, they have pointy tips and they knit fast...plus they are just plain pretty! The only thing I don't like about the Harmony needles is that the shortest cable length is 24". I do a lot of hats and I like a 16" cable for those. The Denise set has shorter cables, but they are much thicker than the Harmony cables and the points aren't as sharp.

As far as having needles that you may never use....well, you just never know what size needle a pattern is going to call for....this way you will have just about everything you need.

Addi does make an interchangeable set but the price is crazy and I think they only offer 2 cable sizes with no option to purchase others. The Knit Picks Options are the set I've heard the most favorable reviews about but I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like them. I like the cord on the Addi better so I think I'll be buying those in the fixed circulars as I need them. Not exactly cost effective but oh well. The Options come either in the Harmony wood or nickle plated. The good thing about the Knit Picks Options is that you can buy a cord and just one set of needles to try them out. I think I would go with a set if I could. You never know when you might need a needle size and it's definitely cheaper than buying them one at a time.

Well, I have spent hours this morning searching a few knitting forums and the most popular opinion seems to be the Options from KnitPicks. I do love the addi's I have and just cannot seem to decide now if I should just buy extra of the fixed sizes I use or purchase the Option set because of the cable lengths and the other "options" for adding to the set. I have also come across the mention of Kollage needles - square needles - that have a super soft cord......:think. I have looked at the Koolage site and find those to sound interesting to try also. I have been given one Inox needle and have found that cable to be relentless about curling :angry no matter what I do! Can anyone help me decide what I should do???:lol:blush

I got a set of Knitpicks Options over my birthday and Christmas last year. I love them! My mom wants a set, and her friend wants a set. We all think that they are beautifully balanced, the tips are nice, and the cords are very nice and flexible. You can also magic loop with the set as the cords are so flexible. (Magic looping = no needing DPNs for small circles).

I have a set of Boye interchangeables as well, and to me, I find that the Options set beats them in every way.

Here is another vote for Knit Picks Harmony set. I have that set and I now wont use anything else if I can help it except maybe Knitpicks nickleplated set too. The Harmony set is not only beautiful to look at but far superior to anything else I have tried. If it weren't for that set I think I would have given up on knitting altogether. I was so frustrated with the ackwardness of straight needles and couldn't find a set of cable needles I liked that did not catch on the yarn. A freind lent me her harmony for the weekend to try and that was all it took to get me hooked. If you can afford the set buy it but if not they also sell the cables and the tips individually. Worth every single penny.

Thanks for all the responses. I really like the Harmony needles but they do not come in the small sizes I need. I've decided to purchase one of the Harmony in a larger size for one project and the addi's for the socks. I'll try out different needles before I consider buying a set because of all the different opinions I've received from 3 different forums. I don't think I will need all the sizes that come with a set so I'll buy them individually - for now anyway! Although I enjoy knitting when I crave something different, I think I will always favor crocheting for "relaxing" and the beautiful afghans that are produced. Oh, by the way, has anyone tried the Kollage Square needles? I even bought one of those to try.....quite pricey though.

Archived