Help! - How do I increase the size on a poncho

Guest Ricke

Question

Hi,

I'm new here and I need help on figuring out how to make a pattern for a poncho from size M/L to size L/XL. The pattern calls for the starting chain to be 46. How many chains should I do for the size L/XL?

Thanks for any help!

Ricke

11 answers to this question

First off, are there any special stitches in the pattern? If so, you will need to take that into consideration when enlarging the pattern. Just to make sure that you end your row on the same stitch as the original pattern.

Secondly, what yarn weight and hook size does the pattern call for? If it's worsted weight and say a G-hook, you can always bump it up by going with a bulky yarn and larger hook size, and follow the pattern as usual. (This would be the easiest way to increase the size IMO.)

If that's not an option, I would start out by chaining the amount the pattern calls for, see how long it is, and then increase the amount of chains to get you the approximate size you need. Follow your pattern, but you will have to add rows as well so you don't end up with a "skinny" poncho (meaning keep your proportions correct.) It also depends on what style the poncho is in. Do you have a link to the pattern? That would help us know more about what you would need to do.

Welcome to the site!!!

Ok, this shouldn't be too hard. Here's what I would do. Chain the 46 to see how the neck would fit. (I assume this is for you?) If it seems to be too small, chain the same amount as given for the final stitch amount for Round 2 (55). Check to see if this neck opening will be larger enough. If it's not, chain the amount for final stitches for Round 4 (64). Once you have the neck opening to a size that you think fits ok, work up the pattern from that point on. For example, if you end up with a starting chain 55, work up Round 1, then proceed to Round 4, go back to Round 3 (as this is how all your odd numbered rounds will be worked, then work Round 6, etc until you get past the shoulder area (which is why you're increasing on this pattern.) You will have to keep trying the poncho on in this manner. If you get to the point where you've worked up Round 12 and you still haven't cleared the shoulders, keep working the increases every even row, with the odd rows having only one hdc in each stitch. The key is to remember that your number of rows is not going to be the same as the pattern rows. You're just using the pattern rows as a guide for how many stitches to work up with only one hdc in a stitch before you have to stitch 2 hdc in a stitch.

Once you've cleared the shoulders, I would think that you're ok to continue to work the pattern as stated for Rounds 13-26 until you get the length that suits you and then finishing off with Round 27.

Now if I haven't completely confused you, good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

I just thought of something.

You might be ok using the original chain 46. In which case you would work the pattern as stated, but keep increasing on the even number rows until you get past the shoulders. And from what I can tell, the increases are easy to figure out as each new increasing row adds one more hdc before having to stitch 2 hdc in a stitch. Then I would keep working Rnds 13-26 until you get the length that you want and finish off how Rnd 27 states.

In fact, this might be a lot less confusing than what I first told you. It's going to be trial and error, and you will have to keep trying on the poncho until you get past the shoulders.

Thank you Amy so much!

I will let you all know how it worked out. Yes, this poncho is for me and if it works out, I am making them as Christmas presents for all the females in my family! I know I will fun crocheting these ponchos once I understand how to do it.

Regards,

Ricke

Making any "round" poncho can be just a little tricky, cause one size does not fill all. Your first row of chains is most important, this will determine it fitting over your head and laying on your shoulders where YOU want it. we are all different in our size and needs. Assuming this pattern has increase stitches, you will need to keep slipping it over your head to see if you need to increase even more. I made this pattern ( in little girl size ) 4-6, did not measure for it and guess what, the darn thing is way to small, I was so mad, then tried to give it to a 3yr old and still would not go over her head. Sometimes patterns lie. lol, measure measure measure. That is my motto.

Hi beachlady,

Thank you for your input. With Amy's help, I am making wonderful progress on my first poncho. I have found the pattern I'm using starts with a chain of 46 but that doesn't go over my head easily so I increased the number of chains and kept trying it on until it passed my shoulders and I'm working on finishing it. I just love it and am going to make them for my sisters for Christmas!

Regards,

Ricke

Welcome to the 'ville!

You may not need to do anything.  For something like a shawl or a poncho, the size is determined by your 'wingspan' (wrist to wrist) measurement, which is typically close to your height.  A  5' 5" size 16 person, and a 5' 5" size 24/26 person should have about the same wingspan.  One's arms don't get longer if one gets, um, rounder, nor does ones head get bigger, so a poncho that fits a size 16 person of your (or the recipient's) height should fit you.

Is the pattern free on the 'net, or is there a photo of it you could link to?  Does it have a diagram/schematic that gives the dimensions of different sizes?  If so lay out a shirt (that fits you without stretching) on your bed, arms outstretched, and measure it wrist to wrist, and compare it to the pattern schematic.  

Without seeing a photo of the item, a simple, generic answer would be to use a bigger hook and a thicker yarn, swatch and calculate what that would get you.