Crochet and School!

Since being in college, I've found out that crochet has helped me soooo much! I've been crocheting since I was 6 and it's taught me a lot! I can sit and concentrate on studying for a lot longer than others I know, and using abbreviations I've seen in patterns has helped so much when writing notes. I've noticed that it helped me in math and chemistry a lot with memorizing the patterns of things in those subjects. Not to mention it's kept me outttt of trouble on weekends. I think it's really cool :) and I'm really thankful that my mom taught me a fun and useful craft.

Crochet...it's not just for fun anymore ;):hook

Oh sweetie, crocheting is my GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD:rofl I would be in a federal pen rotting somewhere, Crochet is my THERAPY, It has prevented me from strangling my kids :devil, hubby, family, coworkers, bosses, people in the store, peole driving, heck people breathing :lol. Although I have had an occational thought of a crochet hook going through someones skull :think, but I am NOT violent, I am NOT :P.

Yes, it DOES help you concentrate better, indeed, the counting, the keeping tract, yes indeed!!! You keep up the good work, and keep doing good in school, I am proud of you :manyheart

That's actually really interesting.

I know crochet has kept me from feeling fidgety in class. But I don't think any amount of crochet could help my study or note taking skills. I've always been a horrible note-taker. Of course, with the exception of classes where you have to remember formulas or specific definitions (or a certain history class with a detail obsessed teacher...) I can usually get by without them. Never really learned how to study either. :lol I'm probably better at reading things with abbreviations because of crochet patterns...

I do know that my crocheting has helped me with paying attention in class though. Working on a project during a lecture keeps me more focused than anything else. Note taking, which is supposed to help focus, has always made me less focused and fidgety. And if I just sit there, I tend to drift off into daydream unless the lecture is really interesting. So crochet does help me quite a bit. XD

I'm kinesthetic, I have a bit of the 'restless leg syndrome', too :lol In other words, I'm a fidget. Crochet is very calming to me.

I've always been able to concentrate but I don't know if this is because I started crocheting so young. I'm sure it has something to do with it. Nowadays crochet is no longer taught at many primary schools because the children are too restless to learn - they can't concentrate long enough to pick up new skills. When I was at school (I'm 34 now) crochet, knitting, sewing, simple cross-stitch and embroidery were par for the course. They were part of a well-rounded elementary school education.

As for keeping you out of trouble: do strike a balance! Crochet can be a lonesome craft, spending your weekends in your room crocheting by yourself is very tempting but don't forget your college years should be social too. Can you join/found a crafters' group, give crochet lessons, meet up for a 'stitch and you-know-what'?

I'm a fidgeter too! I cannot and will not watch tv or movies without crocheting or else I'll be getting up twenty times. As it is, with crochet, I'm up and down anyway. I HATE to sit still. I don't think it's possible for me. Even asleep I'm talking and moving. My husband has bruises to prove it LOL.

I used to knit all the time while in college. I usually made baby booties because they were small and stayed in my lap. My accounting professor was concerned that if I was knitting I wasn't paying any attention to him. It was crucial that I paid attention because I am blind and received most stuff through listening. I assured him that I was paying attention. He began watching me. He said that he could always tell when I struggled with a problem we were going over because my hands would fly. Once I figured it out my hands returned to their normal pace. After that he had no problems with me knitting during his class!

I used to knit all the time while in college. I usually made baby booties because they were small and stayed in my lap. My accounting professor was concerned that if I was knitting I wasn't paying any attention to him. It was crucial that I paid attention because I am blind and received most stuff through listening. I assured him that I was paying attention. He began watching me. He said that he could always tell when I struggled with a problem we were going over because my hands would fly. Once I figured it out my hands returned to their normal pace. After that he had no problems with me knitting during his class!

Wow, that's so interesting! How very understanding of him :) Surprisingly none of the teachers I've had are very strict about students paying attention. It's wierd, I think.

Archived