Scarf Edges - Turning In

Edgehill

I have made this wonderful scarf made from Manos del Uruguay yarn which is posted on the web here in this lovely pattern: http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html

My problem is that the edges of the scarf continuously turn in reducing the overall width of the scarf. I would like to make the scarf again but what recommendations would one give so that the edges are stiffer and resist turning in?

Thanks,

Edgehill

I believe the reason the sides are curling in is that it's essentially a stockinette type fabric.. all the knits on one side and purl bumps on the other. To reduce the problem you'd need to put some sort of border on the scarf. Some people choose to do a few stitches of garter stitch at each edge, or you could use something like K1, P1 (I think it's called either moss or seed stitch), and the next row you do the opposite (think like ribbing, but you're doing the opposite facing stitch on the next row instead of making identical stacks of stitches.) Lots of border possibilities out there. :)

Sometimes you have to play with it to figure out how WIDE a garter/seed stitch border you'll need. Sometimes, a too narrow border won't alleviate the curling problem and you have to do it a little wider.

Edgehill, that is a beautiful scarf! I just might change mine and follow Imagiknit's pattern. Mine is in stockinette for 18 rows and then purling for 6 rows...nothing extraordinary.

But I'm having this same problem with the edges turning in. The beginning as well as the sides. Haven't finished it yet and am wondering what will happen at the end. What can be done at the beginning and at the end?

mamaoso, couldn't you just knit 3 at beg and end of each row to get the garter border? Wouldn't that work? I haven't knitted anything in awhile but seems I remember doing that on the right and left fronts of cardigans.

Another is to slip the first then k2 every row. Get that garter border to help curve the rolling..

Archived