How do I avoid frayed ends?

Sue89

Question

This is my first time making shawls, and the two that I have made have fringe along the edge. Can anyone advise me on how to keep the ends of the fringe from fraying? Is there a trick to that? I just know over time the little yarn ends will start to unravel.

7 answers to this question

I just love this site, I just had this problem, using the Red Heart Fiesta WW yarn. I had already decided to put some beads on the fringe, so what I did, was bead, knot under it, and at the end of the fringe I frayed it, all the way to the top of the knot, it really looks good, not quite done with the whole thing, will take picture and post when I am done. :xsheep

Miki, do you mean when you make a long chain and sc it to the edge? I've never done that but was curious about it myself. I made more of a tassel-type fringe, tying little bunches of strands to the border at intervals.

I tied the little knots on the ends last night, and since the knots are barely visible I think that turned out to be a good solution.

I'm so glad to see this post. I'm having the same dilemma. I used Wool-Ease to make a scarf but I'm finding the ends want to fray and fuzz out. The scarf looks silly to me without the fringe so I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Archived