Afghan Stitch

JPorter718

Question

I am going to be brave :fc and try an afghan by using a pattern.

I think I want to use the afghan stitch and then cross-stitch the pattern onto the afghan. Does anybody do it this way?

Any advice you can give a newbie?

In fact, I've never even tried using the afghan stitch but I think I'll try a dishcloth first and then 'cross-stitch' a little something onto it.

My second question: If I'm making an afghan that is about 40" wide and 60" long... when working side to side (using the afghan stitch) which hook is recommended? I'm assuming there are special Tunisian hooks I can buy. But the hooks aren't 40" long (can you imagine :oops ) anyways, how do I do that? :shrug I've seen some hooks that have a wire as well, which makes it longer but not 40" ??

Hope that's not too confusing and you'll understand what I mean.

Any help is so greatly appreciated :hug I'm so confused on that aspect of it.

6 answers to this question

I'd suggest using a tunisian hook with the cable attached like these. That way it's easier to hold more stitches on the hook. As for the cross stitching, I've done it that way and didn't find it too difficult. I think I'd rather do color changes, though. There's a tutorial for doing it that way somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll look for it and post it when I find it.

Thanks Renee.

Can I ask why you prefer the color change method?

I was thinking that the cross-stitch would be a bit easier for me since I have never done this kind of project before.

How did your cross-stitch afghan turn out? Did you take the stitches all the way through the back, so you could see the color on the backside of the afghan?

The color change method just seems like it would go quicker for larger projects. The cross stitching on my blanket took awhile and it was kind of a pain to make sure the motifs were symmetrical. I did go all the way through the back of the afghan, mostly because it was my first crochet project and I didn't know any better. Here's my afghan . Here are couple tutorials to help you out. Basic tunisian instructions (this has instructions for x-stitching too) and color change tutorial.

I've made placemats using the afghan stitch and cross stitched some roosters on them.I'm not in love with cross stitch so I only got 3 done :blush But it was easy to do , just time consuming.I really don't have any tips because I did it so long ago, just have fun :)

Thanks everyone.

Renee: Your afghan is just beautiful. The few that I had in mind are nothing near as detailed as yours was. The afghans I am going to try are the 'sport' ghans, for instance this one. So maybe the cross-stitch won't be so bad.

Lv2crochet: See I enjoy cross-stitching (it used to be my favorite until I learned to crochet) so I guess I'll have fun doing it this way. We'll have to see!!

Archived