First Lace KAL discussion.....

mamaoso

.....Thread.

Here we will discuss what Lace project you would like to do first.

Then we will take a vote for the KAL pattern we will do.

Give some time to get our supplies and then start the KAL. How does that sound?So take a look at the list or give us a link to another you would like to do to start out with.

And see what we are going to do.....

Something meant for first-time lace knitters suits me. Knitty's Branching Out is fine or Easy Lace Scarf by Clara Parkes. Knit Picks Andean Treasure has simple directions for a scarf in fan and feather pattern. It looks great, too. I have a skein of dark blue sock yarn somewhere in the house which would most likely work for either. (Alas, the second skein is missing and has been for a while.) At the moment I am sick. Although the doctor didn't call it the flu, I'm almost certain that's what it is, and I am too brain dead to tackle any kind of lace knitting, and too tired to knit or crochet either one. Sleeping sounds good... I should be better in a week, Lord willing.

:sick:sneeze:tired:fever:sleep

Branching out would be a good choice....I started it months ago and never finished. This would be a good chance for me to start again and actually finish it this time. Or any lace scarf would be a good choice.

Juli

"Branching Out" sounds good to me too ..I also started it but took it apart .Love to give it a try again, with everybody's help I'm sure we can finish it .:yes

Carla hope you are feeling better :tup I had one if my bad :headache yesterday .My DH was great he just let me rest and he took care of the kids and house :yes

Very sorry, Mamaoso. I've had cedar allergies for years (thankfully they're better than they used to be) but it's raining here today which is splendid for airbornes.

It's looking like everyone is mentioning Branching Out so far, doesn't it? It's a pretty pattern. I need to look at it again. But often I find my trouble isn't so much understanding what to do as it is inattention once I get going. I have the same problem with crochet — not paying attention. Sigh.

Branching Out was my first try at lace

DO...enlarge the chart!

use stitch marlkers at first til you get the repeats down and can read

the knitting. Notice that not all rows have the same stitch count

use a life line ( I do this all the way thru any lace project).All evenly numbered rows are your purl side all stitches except for the first three stitches and the last three are purled. So you get a rest from counting.

I found a magnetic board from one of my grandkids old toys a cookie sheet would also work. I put the chart on it with some small fridge magnet strips . Then used one magnet to mark the row I was on.

I practiced the decreases used

on cotton yarn for a dishcloth before I began so I knew how to do the stitches called for

The decreases are

k3tog

sl-k2tog-psso

sl2-k1-p2sso

The YO's are the only increase

That and knit and purl stitches are the only thing you have to know

the rest is just placement for that I relied on the chart.

Teaching myself to read a chart was very helpful ......Branching Out. has both written instructions and charts

I have made two Branching Outs now love the pattern and the yarn.

Good Luck All it truly is beautiful and worth the effort!

I might have to invest in some yarn and Join you.

No matter what pattern you choose I am hooked on lace.

Archived