help with beads

Guest yarnfan

Question

Guest yarnfan

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to crochet with beads. The problem I'm running into is that the beads "pop out" of the crochet rather then be in the crochet stitches. I'm using single crochet, and H hook and red heart sport yarn. I tried larger hooks and smaller hooks but the same thing happens. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mani

Yarnfan

7 answers to this question

I crochet with beads all of the time (although I'm using thread and E/rocaille glass beads). Since you mentioned yarn and a H hook, the beads must be bigger...pony beads, perhaps?

I'm really not sure how to make them "in" your work, and I understand what you mean by popping out. For example, I do scalloped edging on some things, and I add beads to the scallops...but I want them to "pop out". I also crochet a net-like piece where I add beads "in" the work and they don't pop out, but you have to have series of chains for this and not just solid sc.

For example, I'll be using a large steel hook to crochet (say a 00) and I chain 5. I bring two beads up near my loop, insert a tiny hook (a 10) through the beads, catch the loop, and then pull the beads on to the chain 5. One usually goes at the base of the chain-5 and the other at the top or by the chain I chained last. That way, they don't pop out, they are in. But, like I said, you need to have chains for that. If you do them on sc or dc or whatever, they either pop to the back or front.

I hope all of this made sense. I'm sorry that I don't know how to help more.

Rachel, thanks for the tip I have an order to crochet in beads into bags and I was wondering how to do it. Its done with thread and the person who wants them said she would give me the beads. Do you have a picture of your work where you have worked beads into a chain? I get the picture about beads into dc or sc. Thanks for your time in advance!

Hugs

Vims

Vims,

I'm sorry, I don't have a digital camera. I don't know how to explain it better, either...I'm not so good at that. I apologize. I'd like to get a picture...maybe I'll have a friend take one before too long.

Guest yarnfan

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your helpful comments. I think maybe I'm using beads that are to big for the yarn I'm using. Do the beads that you use fit more snug to the thread or are they loose? Right now the beads I'm using are very loose on the yarn and maybe that is my problem. Also I will try to add some chain stitches and see if that helps.

Thanks again,

Mani :)

There is a great book that shows you how to crochet with beads and how to make the beads lay in sc, dc, etc different ways. It is called Knit and Crochet with Beads by Lily Chin. There are also some amazing patterns. I have just started getting curious about crocheting with beads and found that book to be extremly detailed and helpful. Good Luck!

Mani,

My beads are definitely not loose. Sometimes it takes some doing to get them on my chain (whereas beads on my scalloped edging is not so much of a problem) but the result is so nice...they don't move around...just add lovely sparkle!

Guest yarnfan

Thank you for the book recommendation Heather! I will check it out. :)

Thanks Rachel! I like how beads look in crochet also! I can't wait to finish this design. :)

Mani :sheepjump

Archived