Ideas for FdC Murano yarn?

Hey everybody! I'm new here but not new to crochet. However, I'm getting back into it after several years away, and there weren't any online crochet communities last time I was active! (At least I didn't know of any.)

Yesterday I went and supported my local yarn store...also known as I blew $150 on full retail price yarn! Totally didn't have that much money to spend but it was fun to shop. I came home with a couple of balls of Murano yarn by Filatura di Crosa, their #15 color. They are 50g each, about 66 yds. I have no idea what to do with them.

I'm thinking there's probably only enough for a hat, but I can't find a good pattern to fit this yarn. Does anybody have any ideas? (While you're at it, I also got the very last skein of #164 Cleo by Muench, looking for ideas for that too!)

Hope this is the right forum to post in. :hook

Have you looked through the page that's attached to the link you posted with the yarn photo on it? There's a link that says "Free Pattern", and if you click on that, there are a BUNCH of pages with patterns on them, and some of the things look very pretty! Maybe there would be something in there that would appeal to you? There were some awfully pretty tops and shawl-like thingies, and there were at least 10 pages of patterns, with at least a dozen pictures and patterns on each page. They were all done in that yarn, too, so you'd be able to see what the piece would really look like instead of seeing it done up in knitting worsted and having to imagine it done in the Murano. Boy, oh, boy, that is some PRICEY YARN! Have fun working with it! The only way I'd be able to afford something like that would be to luck out and have it be in a goody box of yarn on Ebay or something of that nature!

Have you looked through the page that's attached to the link you posted with the yarn photo on it? There's a link that says "Free Pattern", and if you click on that, there are a BUNCH of pages with patterns on them, and some of the things look very pretty! Maybe there would be something in there that would appeal to you? There were some awfully pretty tops and shawl-like thingies, and there were at least 10 pages of patterns, with at least a dozen pictures and patterns on each page. They were all done in that yarn, too, so you'd be able to see what the piece would really look like instead of seeing it done up in knitting worsted and having to imagine it done in the Murano. Boy, oh, boy, that is some PRICEY YARN! Have fun working with it! The only way I'd be able to afford something like that would be to luck out and have it be in a goody box of yarn on Ebay or something of that nature!

Those are generic patterns, though - if you look at the Yarndex page, the part that says "free pattern for this yarn" says "none available" - I'm thinking it might just be a medium-bulky yarn that I can use with anything, but it's so delicate (and EXPENSIVE) that I want to make sure I've exhausted all options first!

Will you adopt me and take me yarn shopping? :dance:rofl

Would you believe I'm actually broke? Quite literally! I am an adult college student and I do not work during the semester, so I have literally nothing in my bank account. I had to lend myself that $150 out of my "school fund" (reserved for tuition)! If I could return it all, I would...I'm finding the same stuff SO much cheaper online. I literally don't have the money I spent on yarn, but...we all make impulse buys, I guess. I am going to be more frugal in the future, I'm honestly ashamed of the full retail price I paid! I was like a kid in a candy store and bought what looked "fun" but now I don't even know what to do with it!

Would you believe I'm actually broke? Quite literally! I am an adult college student and I do not work during the semester, so I have literally nothing in my bank account. I had to lend myself that $150 out of my "school fund" (reserved for tuition)! If I could return it all, I would...I'm finding the same stuff SO much cheaper online. I literally don't have the money I spent on yarn, but...we all make impulse buys, I guess. I am going to be more frugal in the future, I'm honestly ashamed of the full retail price I paid! I was like a kid in a candy store and bought what looked "fun" but now I don't even know what to do with it!

:yes I know what you mean! Sometimes impulse gets the best of me too!

OMG, yes! I am the Queen of the impulse buyers! DH says that I am Ad Man's dream. I go crazy over anything that's in a cute little package, even if it means I'm getting 60% less product for a 10% lower price, if it's on a table near the register, it's MINE! Now, seriously, I'm not QUITE that bad, but I do spend an awful lot of money on stuff that I would never in a million years miss if I didn't buy it. DH just hugs me and says "that's my honey!", and he means it, he never gets annoyed or angry with me, but I wish I could stop doing it!

Well, I don't think you should feel TOO bad about your purchase....Really and truly it is important to support our LYS, I think....you may have just gone a little overboard;) If we all buy online, none of us will have an LYS to go to and meet the yarn in person. I have a beautiful skein of variegated Unique Sheep yarn that I bought on sale but it was still $10 for a small amount of yarn, have had it a year and still don't know what to do w/ it, but I enjoy looking at it (that would be ONE example.....). And I am someone who really doesn't want to build up a big stash and I think of myself as a budget-conscious yarn buyer :lol

But also, many stores will give at least a store credit for yarn returned; have you checked to be sure that you can't return it?

Anyway, you've given yourself a nice holiday present :flake

Do you belong to Ravelry? If you do, you can search on that yarn and see what other people have made with it....

Thanks for the tip! I thought I had signed up for Ravelry before but it looks like maybe not. I signed up again and I have to wait 4 days for my invitation, boo! But a friend who is already a member checked and apparently there's NO Murano in there at all. I'm starting to think about a bag/clutch or something, this stuff is almost too nice for a hat!

Well, I don't think you should feel TOO bad about your purchase....Really and truly it is important to support our LYS, I think....you may have just gone a little overboard;) If we all buy online, none of us will have an LYS to go to and meet the yarn in person. I have a beautiful skein of variegated Unique Sheep yarn that I bought on sale but it was still $10 for a small amount of yarn, have had it a year and still don't know what to do w/ it, but I enjoy looking at it (that would be ONE example.....). And I am someone who really doesn't want to build up a big stash and I think of myself as a budget-conscious yarn buyer :lol

But also, many stores will give at least a store credit for yarn returned; have you checked to be sure that you can't return it?

Anyway, you've given yourself a nice holiday present :flake

I am looking at it as a support the local store thing. It's run by these two sweet old ladies and I can't imagine how they stay in business, but they do! Next time I am going the internet route though, just because I can't afford to support the LYS all the time. :)

I haven't thought about returning it...I do LIKE the yarn, I just can't AFFORD it, LOL! So I'll figure out something to do with it...eventually! :)

I looked at the links for the yarn, I especially like the muench. Looks like they would be good for freeform, and since both are purple you could maybe combine them in one project. A freeform bag would be nice.

Some sites I like

Myra Wood http://www.myrawood.com/pages/freeform.html

Prudence Mapstone http://www.knotjustknitting.com/

freeform guild http://www.intff.org/pages/elementsmain.html

There is also inspiration in the freeform section here. :hook

Wow! I had seen the freeform section before, and I've heard of it, but I had no idea what it was. I worry that I'm not creative enough for that, honestly I am TERRIBLE when it comes to creativity! I am great at following patterns but I've never thought about just "doodling" with yarn. Maybe after doing some practice stuff with scrap yarn I would consider using the Murano and Muench for that!

I was also thinking of just a headband for the Muench...I have long hair so then I would get to wear it out, if I have anything nice enough to wear with it!

I gotta stick to the basic yarns from now on, so I don't run into this problem again! Better to have a project in mind and go out and find a yarn that would make it cool, rather than the other way around!

A headband would be nice. That's what I had thought of for my little orphan ball of Unique Sheep http://www.theuniquesheep.com/yarn/leili_juliet.jpg I LOVE the colors, but it looks like chunks of color when crocheted so I'm not happy about that, and it's a little small for me to knit with at this point in my knitting learning curve. Ah well, the yarn isn't going anywhere while we make up our minds what to do with it:lol

Well this is amusing - I finally got onto Ravelry and the Murano wasn't even there! I had to add it as a new yarn. Apparently other yarn companies also make yarns with the name Murano, but they didn't have the one by Filatura di Crosa. I noticed they have a sell/trade feature, I'm thinking of doing that so I can maybe get yarn that I would actually use instead of being too scared. :)

When yarn is that expensive, you want to use every inch of it if possible. Here is a technique the Yarn Harlot used in knitting when she had some very expensive yarn. She knitted a lace end for her scarf and then carfully set it aside. (Encased in tissue and mothproofed, no doubt.) Then she knitted another lace end and started knitting the rest of the scarf. She knitted until she had just inches of yarn left, then sewed the first lace onto the second end of the scarf. Voila! A beautiful scarf of gorgeous yarn and she wasted none of it! — When you do decide what to do with your pretty yarn, definitely consider a project which will let you use it all and not have $40 worth of yarn as leftover.

When yarn is that expensive, you want to use every inch of it if possible. Here is a technique the Yarn Harlot used in knitting when she had some very expensive yarn. She knitted a lace end for her scarf and then carfully set it aside. (Encased in tissue and mothproofed, no doubt.) Then she knitted another lace end and started knitting the rest of the scarf. She knitted until she had just inches of yarn left, then sewed the first lace onto the second end of the scarf. Voila! A beautiful scarf of gorgeous yarn and she wasted none of it! — When you do decide what to do with your pretty yarn, definitely consider a project which will let you use it all and not have $40 worth of yarn as leftover.

What a fantastic idea! I often do scarves without ends so that would work out fine too - I'd only be left with whatever doesn't quite make a full row. :crocheting

I just can't believe I bought such expensive yarn! It's both scary and delightful. :D

Archived