Cradle Purse/Memory Angel Pattern

Shellie

This is a rough pattern, I am hurrying so people can make them for Christmas. Please let me know if you have any problems-I will do my best to help. UPDATED WITH Pacifier background.

Cradle Purse/Memory Angel Pattern

by Michelle Bogart

th_100_8220.jpg"][/url]

Depending on materials used and size of hook this will make either a doll that fits in a cradle purse or a memory angel.

Materials

Sm amount of light peach or desired flesh tone-Size 10 thread for angels, Spt Wt yarn for dolls

"B" hook for dolls, steel hook 7 for angels, steel hook 10 for pacifier

Sm amount black thread for eyes or black seed beads

Sewing needle for angels, yarn needle for dolls (sewing needle is better for doll hair and any thread based work)

Tiny button for pacifier

Sm amount white thread for outer part of pacifier and wings

Size 10 thread in silver or gold for wings and halo

Embroidery floss in hair color

Size 10 bootie and cuff color for angel/ Spt Wt yarn for doll bootie and cuff

Notes:

Do not join rounds unless the instructions tell you to. Weave in threads as you go unless they are used for later sewing-makes it MUCH easier later on! I crochet very very tightly, keep this in mind when it comes to gauge.

Head and Body

Start with a 5 scs in a magic circle or ch 2 and sc 5 in the second chain from the hook

Rnd 2: 2 sc's in each sc arnd (10 sc)

Rnd 3: Sc in the first, 2 sc's in the next arnd (15 sc)

Rnd 4: Sc in the first two, 2 sc's in the next arnd (20 sc)

Rnd 5: Sc in the BL of each sc arnd (halo section-only crochet in BL if you are making an angel, NOT for the doll!)

This is a good place to take out your hook and leave a loooooooong loop so you don't lose the stitches, then start your hair. Use one strand of embroidery floss doubled over for the angels (makes 2 strands) or 2 strands doubled over for the dolls (makes 4 strands), a sewing needle works best for this.

For a very full head of hair secure your thread inside the head and bring the needle up through the magic circle you started with. Notice all the "holes" on the head created by the stitches? Come up through the circle, go down through the closest hole. Continue this until you have the first rnd pretty much covered. Then come up through the circle again and start on the next closest circle of holes. When you have done this until you are on the last row before you reach the BL section you are done. Always start by coming up through the ring.

If you want a sparse head of hair then come up through the magic ring and go all the way to the last ring of holes. Skip over the first few rounds entirely. Secure the end of your hair, put your hook back through your loop and continue on.

R6-R11: Sc around

Okay, repeat the take your hook out and leave a loop from the hair. Either put two French Knots in Rnd 7 about 3 sc's apart or sew two seed beads the same. Now get your silver, secure to a loop from Rnd 5 with a sl st. Ch 1, sc in same and sc around. Fasten off silver and secure. Your halo is done if you are making an angel.

Rnd 12: Sc in the first two st, dec arnd (15)

Rnd 13: Sc in the first st, dec arnd (10)

Rnd 14-15: Sc arnd

Stuff head firmly. Sew the small button centered under the eyes using the neck to help with placement. Take the skin color you chose and make 4 scs in a magic circle. Pull very tightly and you should have one ear. Make another the same way. Use your best judgement for placement. The top of the ear should be about even with the eyes.

Pacifier

Take the #10 steel hook and white crochet thread. Make a magic circle and place 6 scs.

Put two scs in each sc around so you have 12 stitches. Now sl st in the next st.

Sc in the next, hdc in the one after that, dc in the next, (tr, ch 2, sl st) in the next, sl st in the next FOUR st. In the same fourth sl st-ch 2 and tr. Now reverse the beginning. Dc in the next, hdc in the one after that, sc in the next, sl st in the one after the sc. Fasten off, don't weave in any ends! Use the center string to sew on the button (over the very center) and the outer string to sew it to the doll/angel. If you want to get fancy you could make a short chain for a "handle" and sew it to the button.

The single button by itself works just fine as a pacifier as well. I don't make the fancy kind for thread angels-just for dolls and yarn angels.

Body

Rnd 16: Sc in the first st, 2 sc in the next arnd (15)

Rnd 17-18: Sc arnd

Rnd 19: Sc in the next two sc, 2 sc in the next arnd (20)

Rnd 20-26: Sc arnd

Rnd 27: Dec arnd (10) Fasten off and weave through stitches. Do NOT pull tight yet.

Set aside until you have the arms and legs done.

Legsmake two, either don't stuff or stuff very lightly

Start with 8 scs in a magic circle or ch 2 and sc 8 in the 2nd ch from the hook

Rnd 2: Sc in the first three scs, 2 scs in the fourth sc, Sc in the next three scs, 2 scs in the ninth (10)

Rnd 3: Sc arnd

Rnd 4: (Sc in three, dec ) twice (8)

Rnd 5-7: Sc arnd

Rnd 8: Dc in 3 st, sc in 5 (makes the knee)

Rnd 9-11: Sc arnd If you want booties, fasten off here

Booties-I did stuff these

Fasten bootie color in BL of any sc at the end of leg.

Rnd 1: (sc in 3, 2 sc in next) twice (10)

Rnd 2-3: Sc arnd

Once more leave a long loop and take out your hook. Fasten your lace/cuff color on any FL of R1. Ch 1, sc in same. Ch 4 then sc in next stitch. Keep Ch 4-ing and sc-ing in next each loop arnd. Sl st in the first sc and fasten off. Secure end and restart booties.

Rnd 4: Dec arnd and fasten off, leaving a long string for weaving through stitches.

Weave end through last five stitches, pull tight and secure.

Arms

Start with 6 scs in a magic circle or ch 2 and sc 6 in the 2nd ch from the hook

Rnd 2: Sc in the first st, 2 sc in next arnd (9)

Rnd 3-5: Sc arnd

Rnd 6: Sc in first two st, dec arnd (6)

Rnd 7-11: Sc arnd. Fasten off leaving a long string.

Weave end through last six stitches, pull tight and secure.

Sew on arms and legs before tightening the lower body. There are many techniques for this, I use the one that lets you pose the doll. As soon as the limbs are done, tighten the last round of the body and secure the end.

I got the wings for the angel from my baby bee pattern.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68452-For the angels I crochet with white thread and a strand of silver floss. It really makes the silver show nicely and the white softens the harshness of the silver.

You may sell the dolls/angels you make with this pattern but you may not sell the pattern. This is my own original design. I will do my best to help with questions but I am better at making these than I am explaining them. I really would prefer the angels be gifts or at least a donation made with all or some of the proceeds. However, I can't control what you do with your money. Just know that these are not really intended to ever be sold.

post-15976-135897473297_thumb.jpg

post-15976-135897473304_thumb.jpg

thanks so much for sharing this pattern! this will be perfect for the cradle purses i'm gifting for christmas :)

I'm too tired tonight but tomorrow I will make another pacifier crochet piece so you can make the fancier kind. I want to double check that I wrote it down correctly. :)

Archived