What age child can use a Knifty Knitter?

Ok. I have the knifty knitter - that I've never used -- my DD is almost 4 1/2 and wants to learn to crochet, but I don't think she's ready for that yet.

What age have you taught a child to use the knifty knitter? I'm wondering if she could do this?

I have a friend who taught her 4 year old.

She had to wrap it, show her where to hold it, and then let her lift the yarn over the pegs. There were lots of times she had to fix it because the child lifted both yarns over, but the child felt like she was really doing something.

She's older now, and she can wrap it herself, but in the beginning she couldn't.

My daughter started using mine at about that age. I would suggest getting the yarn wrapping tool (basically a hollow tube to put the yarn through). The wrapping tool really helped her keep the tension loose enough for her to use. At first I did wrap it for her, but after a little practice she did it all herself.

My kids (3 & 5) use the knifty knitter, but I wrap the yarn for them. They love it and feel like they are actually doing it. My son (the 5 year old) will do a round or so, then go off and play for a bit, then come back. He does for a few hours, goes back and forth :)

my son started using it when he was 6.... he's just turned 7 last month and he's been able to do it on his own after I start it for him for months... I bought him one that has interchangeable heads (more prongs or less prongs) and he loves it lol...

Michelle

Archived