Purse closure ideas needed

happy stitcher

ETA 3/16/09: This thread has recently been renewed, but I finished my bag already. Thank you to everybody who offered help! Here's the finished bag:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90400&highlight=felted

I made a felted bag. It didn't turn out exactly as planned, but it looks pretty good, I think....

The problem is the clasp.

I don't want to line it. That's one reason I chose to felt it. As it is now, it's just an open top, like a tote bag. I have a strap that I can sew on the back and bring forward to the front.

I thought maybe I'd use some D rings to bring the strap through and close it, but then I realized that if I used D rings the strap would wind up going back up instead of laying down flat. That would look strange.

I thought maybe I'd use one of those magnetized clasps, but then I realized that if I poked the magnet end through a strap so that it would connect with the other end of the clasp on the side of the purse - the back of the clasp on the strap would show through on the front of the purse.

Similarly, if I just put a clasp inside the purse, the back part will poke through the front of the purse. I know that I could put a liner in it and solve this problem, but I REALLY don't want to line it.

Any suggestions on how I can finish this project without lining the purse?

I just want it to close instead of falling open when it's being held.

I'm not very good at sewing zippers, and I'm sure somebody will suggest that, so let me quickly say please don't say "zipper". It would look best with the strap, anyway.

I'd like to get this out of my WIP list and start using the bag! :(

Thank you! :hug

What about a button?

hhmmmm......maybe!

I'll have to take the bag to the store and see if I can find any that will look good.

Why didn't I think of that?? I was making it too difficult!

You know how sometimes you have this vision of how something is going to be, and then when it doesn't go as planned, you're just lost? Well, maybe that's just me, but I think that's what happened here. I had this idea of a bag, and adjusting it to reality has me a little lost.

Thank you!

I'll see what I can find! :)

Oh yes, I totally understand! I'm going through that right now. I bought yarn to make a gift and the item I was originally thinking of, yeah that's not gonna work so well. So now I'm struggling with what to do.

You could find a large button and use it for a closure. The nice thing about felted bags is that you can just cut the opening now for the button and it doesn't fray like regular material. You don't even have to sew a buttonhole. It's the beauty of felting!

• 4 months later...

You can also make a loop for the button. With double stranded wool, chain about 50. Finish off. Toss in with your next load and felt. After felting, trim ends. Make a hole in one side of your bag. From outside, poke both ends of through hole and make a knot on inside of bag. Sew button on other side of bag and hook loop over button.

The next time you crochet a bag to felt, make two tabs on either side of the inside of your bag to use for attaching a magnetic snap. (They will look like wide belt loops on the inside of your bag.) Attach yarn to the top edge of your bag, near the center. Hdc until you have a short row about 1" to 1 1/4" wide. Continue making rows until tab is about 2" long. Fold tab to inside of bag and join last row of tab to inside of bag using a sc join (like you would single crochet a seam together). Repeat for other side. When you felt your bag, check every so often that tabs are not adhering to bag. After your bag is shaped and dried, you can attach the magnetic snaps through the tabs and the prongs will not show on the outside of the bag. Works beautifully.

You can also use the metal magnetic clasp--just make some kind of "cover" for the bit that shows. I've used needle felting for things like that, but you could also crochet a small circle, felt it (by hand in the sink, maybe), and sew it on to cover what shows.

P.S. No need to line it! I've been using the same felted bag for two winters in a row, and it is a work-horse. Felted wool is very tough and durable....and it looks exactly the same as it did the day I finished it!

• 5 years later...

I am crocheting an evening purse.  It's an openwork pattern, so I will line it.  I've been looking at purse frames.  These are the metal frames you will see in change purses that snap shut.  They are made with holes to sew the material on or use crochet yarn.  Some just have slots that you would glue the material into.  There are many styles and sizes.  Google "purse frames".   

I've almost decided to use magnetic sewn in clasps.  The purse is @ 6" square.  I will attach three magnetic clasps, one in the center and 2 on each side.  I like the idea of a button also, sewn to the top of the front and a loop on the back.  This will help to pull the sides apart.  

Archived