Input Needed (Crochet College) :-)

Alrighty, folks!! It’s about high time we have our own site for learning crochet through video besides weeding through YouTube. Anyone else agree? This has been nagging at me for a good long while, so I finally decided to do something about it.

As a gmail participant, I am able to develop my own sites through Google for free. Granted, it won’t be the absolute best, but at least it will be a start for now. I already have a template started, etc. So, now I need input from all of you who are willing to share your ideas with me…

I’m calling the site Crochet College (yeah, yeah, I know…pretty cheesy, eh? Please bear with me). Each different stitch or technique will have its own page, like the Basics, or Crochet 100 (how to hold the hook and yarn, including the 2 different grips, for each hand), through 105 (double crochet. The sl st, ch, sc, and hdc will each have their own 100-level number). After the 100s, there will be the different technical classes, such as the 200-level classes, like Crocheting-in-the-Round, Joining motifs, Reading Patterns, etc. 300-level courses will be things like Shaping, Cluster Stitches, Advanced Pattern Stitches, Post Stitches, and the like. 400-level courses might be Classes on Basic Design, with Guest “Professors” (I’m a designer myself, but I’m still such a newbie at it that I don’t think I could teach much about it at the stage where i am). There will also be Electives, such as Tunisian (also available in different levels, each level only attainable after the appropriate corresponding level course in the main Core Classes). 500-level courses will be for those who wish to teach others how to crochet, as well.

One does not have to go in order to be able to “take” any of the Classes; however, it would be recommended for a beginner, or Freshman, if you will. ;) There will also be no grading, no charge, and no testing!! Woohoo!!

To be fair to those wonderful folks who are teachers here on the 'Ville, I will also add linkies for "Field Trips" for when their classes start here, making known the dates available, and any costs, etc.

So, does anyone have any ideas for specific ‘Classes’ they’d like to see on the site? any suggestions?

If you’ve come this far in reading my post, I humbly thank you.

I'm doing one of my dense days today :wlol

I am not quite sure what you mean by your 'college' and the levels.

So you are going to set up video lessons and people will progress through various levels. How does one work up through the system? Would we submit pics of the projects? :think

I don't know about the gmail groups so maybe that is why I am not getting it.

:lol Darski,

You know how when someone learns to crochet, they learn by steps, such as how to hold the hook and yarn, how to chain, how to sc? well, holding is level 100, chaining is 101, sc is 102, and so forth. It's just a play on the whole college theme.

Have you visited knittinghelp.com? The gal there has it set up to where if you want to learn a certain stitch, or about a certain technique, you can look it up to find it and watch the very short (and i mean, seconds long) video online. Only a newbie should watch the videos in order, and those of us with more experience can look up whatever we want in whatever order as a refresher or to learn something new. And no, pics of the final projects are not necessary. :hook

Clear as mud?

Tracey - I think this is an awesome idea - I would suggest though that you offer lessons/classes for left and right handed crocheters (or potential crocheters)

That's part of the idea. ;) I'm a lefty that crochets right-handed, so I'm going to need help getting the left-handed stuff. I don't think that's going to be a problem, though. :D

I think this is a wonderful idea. I think that videos are one of the best ways for me to learn new things because sometimes just words and diagrams just don't cut it.

I don't have any suggestions at theis moment, but if I think of any I will definitely let you know.

Just a couple of questions...will anybody be able to submit videos, or are you going to be doing all of the filming and adding new "courses" when one is suggested? Also, is this site up and running yet or is it still a WIP :).

Looking forward to learning more and helping to contribute...Good Luck!

-B

Just a heads-up: Donna and I are also investigating software that will embed with our forum software to allow members to upload/link to video tutorials here as well. :)

We're not sure how long it will take to get this up and running, as we want to make sure it will work the way we intend when we introduce it.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I think that videos are one of the best ways for me to learn new things because sometimes just words and diagrams just don't cut it.

I don't have any suggestions at theis moment, but if I think of any I will definitely let you know.

Just a couple of questions...will anybody be able to submit videos, or are you going to be doing all of the filming and adding new "courses" when one is suggested? Also, is this site up and running yet or is it still a WIP :).

Looking forward to learning more and helping to contribute...Good Luck!

-B

i'm probably going to stick to myself and perhaps a couple other folks doing the filming. That way, there will be some form of consistency in video quality and clarity of instruction. The Guest Professors will probably do their own, and if I find videos that do very well on their own in instructing certain things, I'll attempt to obtain permission from the content owner to post a link to it.

Archived