Why Round or Star?

I am an RR convert. When I first saw them, even though I thought they were pretty, I just kept thinking why would you put a round afghan on a rectangular bed. Well, I still haven't made any for a bed, but I have made one and I now really like them. I think they are much prettier on the back of a sofa as compared to a rectangular afghan. As another poster pointed out I love the fact that the colors sort of burst forth because of the center to edge thing and I have seen some on here that are positively exquisite. I love working in the round and so I know that I will be making more.

I have been making 12 point Round Ripples since shortly after joining the 'ville, and I love them. So does everyone that has been given one by me. The reasons:

They are beautiful and unique.

They take less yarn that a rectangle ghan.

They ARE functional. As has been stated, I am not rectangle, and when I curl up on the couch, a rectangle ghan doesn't cover all of me like a RR does.

They can be made in any size.

They can be made as ghans, rugs, table toppers, place mats, coasters, hot pads, dishcloths, tree skirts, etc.

They can be made in any type of yarn or thread.

I know there are more, but my mind just went blank.

Starghans are pretty and unique, but I don't see the functionality in those at all.

Yep, I'm addicted to RR's. See siggy :lol

They can be made in any size.

And very easily. Just keep crocheting until it reaches the desired dimensions. And they remain proportional. A square/rectangular afghan does not have this flexibility.

I live in a warmer climate, and often just want something to cover my legs and feet, not all of me.

I also started making these soon after I discovered the 'ville. And have taught several friends how to make them as well. They have become very popular in my small circle. One of my friends just finished one almost 84" across!

I guess you'll find almost as many different reasons for liking them as you will crocheters!

Ruth

Ret TSgt, USAF

Archived