1st fingerless glove/mitten handwarmer thingy

goodie2shoes

I finished my first one and am working on its mate I did remember to start the cable opposite so far so good.Edited to add finished both.

2951077429_150cb74191.jpg?v=0

And this is the thumb gusset it worked out great

the pics show the color a bit off they are a soft gray with a light tan thread running thru. looks more gold here than it is.

2948983302_bb90dcfef8.jpg?v=0

Next I want to do a pair with half fingers now I know what some people are getting for Christmas/Birthday presents. And they are quick I made the first one last nite watching Survivor! of course I wasn't yet finished when it was over..........took me a til Jay Leno was on........Bwahahhaaha

2948130259_788e394773.jpg?v=0

Really I was put off by them but if you can do ss you can do it, they give you instructions in most of the pattern but basically just plain old knitting. Don't let them intimidate you if you already know how to knit and purl they are just knitting . You are just knitting them in a different order and some of the stitches are held either in front or in back of the work, on another small needle til you get to them. Like you put three stitches on the cable needle drop it down in front of the work then knit the next three stitches like you normally would then go back and knit the first three stitches that are waiting for you on you cable needle.......then just knit.

Do what I did get some inexpensive plastic cable needle

Get some cotton dishcloth yarn, make cabled dishcloths for practice.

It really isn't that bad, don't sweat it do experiments that you don't really know how they will turn out, it helps me to figure out why they look the way they do :P

Watch some of the instructional videos on U-tube and breath it really is plain ol knittin'

yet it looks like magic.

Sorry if that sounds like a lecture...........

more like try it you'll like it.............aaaaaack

There is a pattern in this month's Creative Knitting for similar handwarmers and it uses a mock cable pattern - no cable needle required. You twist the stitches when you knit them. They are also quick and easy, I made a pair in about three hours. (They were a little different in the thumb, it was just a hole for the thumb rather than knitting up the thumb a ways.)

BTW, those are cute!

Those are very lovely! They look very comfy and I adore cables. It's the newest knitting technique I've learned, and it certainly looks harder than it is actually! Grumperina had a nice tutorial about not even having to use a cable needle.

• 2 weeks later...

they look really nice! Those cables aren't nearly as hard as they look. I just finished the first of a pair of wrist warmers. Need to get started on the other one and not forget to reverse the cable. :) Were did you get this pattern?

they look really nice! Those cables aren't nearly as hard as they look. I just finished the first of a pair of wrist warmers. Need to get started on the other one and not forget to reverse the cable. :) Were did you get this pattern?

Yep loads easier than they look

The pattern here is called Symmetrical Braided Gauntlets

I didn't use the yarn called for I had some wool blend worsted and substituted that. The pattern also calls for reversing the cable on the other hand. I think next time I will do two at once on two circs

I made socks that way and wayyyy nicer to be done at the same time. Now that I have dones one pair of these I think I would do it that way next time.

Your wrist warmers are very pretty! I love cables, they are my favorite thing to knit next to fair isle. What yarn did you use? It looks very soft.

lets see it is one from the bottom of the stash Rubezahl from Steinbach Wolle it is a blend of Wool and Acrylic It says Austria on the label. I bought it on mark down a few years ago without a specific project in mind. I think the color discontinued.

Archived