Scarf Size Help

gretelgrrl

Question

OK, I need some help here :shrug cuz I'm really confused.

I am working on this pattern (yes, at this point, I should no better than trying this guys patterns... I think I posted on here about the trouble with the hat I did from here).

barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburt...html#eight

Anyway, a friend of mine asked me to do a scarf and I showed her a bunch and this is the one she picked out. The pattern is working out beautifully and quickly... except...

well, I realized at some point that although my gauge is correct and I have counted through and I am pretty sure that I have the right number of stitches... Mine is about 9 inches wide and his is about 6 inches wide. :?

Does anyone know of a logical reason for this?

I thought it felt wide for a scarf, but I just kept following the directions. Is 9" just too disturbingly wide for a scarf? Or is it ok? I haven't made enough scarves, but in my experience they are about 6"... that seems standard.

If the width is 9" should I add on a few inches to the length to even it out?

Or should I just scrap the dern thing and try to make it 6" instead?

:thinking2

Decisions... decisons....

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Am I being just to anal about it? 8o

Thanks for your input!

6 answers to this question

I'm no expert but it sounds like your hook is bigger than his if your counts are right, and if his pattern is right.

9" is sort of wide, maybe, it depends. If it gets pretty cold there then the scarf would come up a bit farther, frankly I kinda like a nice wide scarf when it's cold out so I can pull that baby up over my nose *g*

It could also be floded in half when worn, then it's not so wide, but is nice and warm.

I guess it all depends on what you (or your friend) thinks =)

I have to tell you, I love his site, but the patterns seem way off. I tried two things and they were no where near what he had put down. I think he must some a little something, then write out the patterns (LOL)

Ok... So I stopped working on the scarf that I had that was 9' wide and started a new one. I didn't unravel the first because, well, I'm determined to find another use for it. It's a lovely pattern and maybe I will wear a scarf that wide :P It actually would also make a pretty table runner or topper for a side table.

Marvie, you are right. I was using my acrylic hooks and the letters aren't on them! I had my J and my K confused! I think I'm going to take permanent marker and just write the letters on them. I feel like such a dork.

I was working on it away from home, though (on the bus!) So, I just used the same hook again, but I modified it. For the new one, what I did was shorten the width by subtracting two chains in the foundation row. It worked really quickly and easily and is 6 inches wide now. The scarf is pretty and looks more "standard".

I love this site - I am soooo grateful for all of the feedback and support I receive. Thank you for your patience with a newbie :)

And thanks for helping me out!

:hug2

Archived