PERTAINING TO YARN - musty odor

kahud48

I bought some yarn that was represented as a bit attic musty (now I know attic musty means meldewed badly). How do you kill the moldy yarn smell? It is not good. I want it to stay new looking as possible after I have finished working it over, if can be possible.

Any ideas Lady's, and Gents, on how I can salvage this $19.95 purchase?

HELP!!!

It is Bucilla Paradise Ban-Lon

78% Lofted Acetate---------22% Textralized-Nylon

The first thing I'd try is put it in a container with some charcoal brickettes (with something in between, like a layer of newspaper to keep them from touching so the yarn doesn't get grungy on top of everything else) since charcoal absorbs smells pretty well. I haven't tried this with yarn but I've tried it with other things that were all musty and it worked well... Probably also need to give it a wash to kill the mildew and keep it from coming back.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
If they are acrylic, Three Olive suggests putting the entire skein in the leg of a pair of cheap pantyhose and tie a knot around each skein (like a sausage) and then wash on gentle/hand wash cycle.

Does anyone know if you could put baking soda in with it safely? I've used it with many other things with "off" smells and know it works on mildew - could that be put in with it as well?

I used this trick with some thrift store yarn that was bagged and I didn't realize how bad it smells - didn't know the baking soda thing at the time though, I wish I had, probably would have only had to run it through once, lol.

Archived