Granny Squares.

Guest Lovebill

Question

Guest Lovebill

I am having some serious issues with these buggers. :grumpy I FINALLY learned how to make the initial ring with dc using this website:

http://crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

(I'm pretty sure this site belongs to a member here, THANK YOU whoever it was!!!:hug2 )

But now as I go along with more rounds, it comes out incredibly floppy. I've tried working tighter, I've tried different sized hooks, I've tried loosening up, different patterns, and so on. :bang

What am I doing wrong?

What is the formula for the perfect granny square?

11 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifDefine "floppy", please. :) Granny squares are not necessarily "firm fabric."

Here's a pattern for the basic Granny square. Ask more specific questions so we can help. :D

Thank you! :blush That's my tutorial. :D! I agree with what SamplerLady said - give us more specifics, maybe a photo? Also, it is on my to-do list to make a granny square tutorial just like I did for the adjustable ring. In the past I didn't like doing granny squares (just like I didn't like crocheting in the round) but now I'm a huge fan. :)h

Guest Lovebill

Floppy = when I do my dcs, even if I'm not skipping stitches there are spaces between the dcs. They don't stay together like the ones in the many photos I've seen.

Just for clarification, I know I'm doing dcs correctly, this never happens in my other work, just when I'm crocheting in the round.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifDcs have spaces between them in granny squares. Nature of the dc beast. To make them a little less "holey" try using a smaller hook.

The nature of crocheting in the round creates spaces. And dcs create spaces. Often times, once they are washed, they "bloom" a bit and fill in the spaces a bit. :D

Guest NCAugeriFan

After round one is where I have problems. My square looks lopsided. I have problems with slipstitching to join - making sure I'm slipstitching in the correct place and then start the next round. It is trickey! I'll keep working on it!!! :thinking2

Cadie

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifLopsidedness may be due to different tension in different areas of the square. Also some squares look lopsided when laying by themselves but square up nicely when joined to other squares. Washing may help with lopsidedness, too.

Make sure your stitch count is correct so that's not contributing to lopsidedness. :)

Instead of sl st in the top of the ch 3, try sl st around it. Insert your hook in the space to the left of the ch 3, yo and pull yarn through space and loop on hook. Continue on with next round. :D

There are other ways to start the next round, I"m not sure if there is a tutorial out there on the way I was shown, but I use a double crochet in the corner, to join and start my next round. :loco

I just learned how to Granny last night! Woo Hoo! The only thing i am having an issue with is --> is there any way to avoid the slip stiching to get to the next (hole)? Do Grannies alway just go around and around and not turn? (Meaning there is actually a right and wrong side)

Tina

I just learned how to Granny last night! Woo Hoo! The only thing i am having an issue with is --> is there any way to avoid the slip stiching to get to the next (hole)? Do Grannies alway just go around and around and not turn? (Meaning there is actually a right and wrong side)

I make my grannies so that I end at a corner. Instead of crocheting the two chains (or 3 for some patterns), I chain one and the single crochet where you would normally slip stitch (or double crochet for the chain-3 patterns). This leaves you in the middle of the corner space. For the next row, do half of your corner pattern (so that you will end up in the center of a corner again) and continue around.

Usually grannies do just go around and not turn. Some people switch back and forth, and in SOME patterns it does not matter a bit. However, it actually keeps things more simple in the long run to stay with the same direction. When you get into some of the more complicated and gorgeous patterns, it will matter because you will definitely have right and wrong sides.

I used to hate grannies (sewing them together drove me nuts). They were so simplistic and holey that they had no appeal to me. Now I have really gotten into them with fancy patterns and fancy ways to attach them. Since I LOVE working on afghans, it gives me a smaller project I can drag around more easily. Keep at it. They are worth learning.

Run some searches on this web site for other discussions about squares.

Good luck

Archived