New here, I'm a newbie knitter/Question

coffeeandcrochet

I'm a newbie knitter, I'm a leftie:crocheting I have made a few simple scarves, but I would love to try a hat. I bought a book,and I have a question about one of the patterns for a hat. it says:

Using circular needle, cast on 64 st. (so far so good) Join without twisting:think, marking beg of rnd. Ok After I have the st. on my circular needle. How do I join? let alone jn. without twisting:think any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

make sure all your stitches are hanging the same way for the not twist part..

as for joining... my grandma taught me to knit the first stitch then slip the last stitch over that one (place stitch marker between the 2 since the slip stitch now becomes the first stitch according to gma) and then just keep on knitting round and round and round, then at the end you'll weave in what is hanging down to secure it. The few times I've done it, all has worked out fine and she's been knitting over 70 years and never had a problem.

After you cast on your stitches (usually onto 3 needles) then lay them down in a triangle. Make sure all the stitches are facing inside. The needle on the left side of the triangle is Needle One, the bottom of the triangle is Needle Two and the needle on the right side of the triangle is Needle Three. Needle Three will have your working yarn.

The first stitch is the trickiest! With your free needle (Needle Four) you are going to knit the first stitch on Needle One, using the working yarn on Needle Three. So for this first stitch you are juggling three needles. Be sure you make that first stitch nice and firm. Now you have joined your circle. Work to the end of Needle One, now it is your free needle, and proceed to Needle Two and keep working around. When you go to the next needle be sure and always keep that first stitch firm and for the first round make sure your stitches are still facing inside the same way so the work won't be twisted.

The first round is always the hardest but hang in there. After a few rounds you will be able to relax and enjoy knitting in the round.

Archived