I think I know what to make but...

I want to see what you guys think. I'm going to be nursing my baby once she's born, up till the first year. So, I was thinking of making a coverup shawl. What do you guys think? Any good suggestions for patterns out there that you can think of? What about a Serephina shawl? Or will that be too "holey"?

Hi! I am currently nursing my son and just use a thin blanket (like a receiving blanket but with a cute pattern on it) when I need covering up. My only suggestion after nursing both my kids is that it's not too heavy or warm. It gets very hot and stuffy under the blanket very quickly. They are also rebreathing the air so I always hold the blanket up off his face and just hold it up to still keep me covered so he gets fresh air and it's not so hot.

Oh, and if you make a coverup, you can add a loop and a button on one corner so you can loop it around your bra strap and button it so it stays up. Until you get a good system down you could accidentally pull it off, or once your little one gets her arms flailing she could pull it off you, lol.

Good luck to you!!!!

I have actually seen a pattern for one, but I found I didn't like the way it looked. It was skinny around the neck with a pineapple hanging over each "nurse." I worry about hot too, but I have used just a shawl before. Even with the holes you'd be surprised how much it helps~or was that a false sense of security? LOL! I too usually use a receiving blanket, and I get a little quilt edging and make a loop to go over my head.

Still, I'd be very interested in what you come up with~and OH the ideas for thread if worried about it being too hot! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I just made some nursing cover-ups for when this baby is born. I didn't crochet them, I thought it would be too hot, I found instructions online and sewed them with lightweight cotton fabric. I found using just a blanket, that it would get pulled off really easily by baby. The type I made has a neck strap and it has an opening so you can look down at baby's face and they can look at you.

Here is the link to my blog entry showing the ones I made along with the link to the instructions I used:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/Dee/576228/

My DD has something like this:http://monkeyfootdesigns.com/catalog.php?item=38

She loves it! She bought it(silly girl!)

It is just a long rectangle with straps and has a flexible plastic piece sewn in the hem. Lets air in and you can see the little one.

With my son, I used a nice, white cotton blanket that we had bought for the baptism. I just liked the size of it and it was thin enough so he wouldn't be too hot. It was big enough so I was covered and pretty enough that it looked good too. It was a white, eyelet blanket that was lined lightly.

I remember being at different occassions where there were teenage boys. A few of them just thought it was a way to get the baby asleep. They didn't have a clue of what I was doing.

Also, when you are learning, try nursing in front of a mirror so that you can see what you are doing, and that nothing is showing. It seems silly, but it's ok to do this.

It will help your confidence. Good luck to you.

:manyheart

Archived