sock trouble

Ambersafghans

Question

7 answers to this question

If they were done with a so-called afterthought heel and that was the only problem, I would say you could just rip it out and put in a new one.I'm not sure what to tell you about the ball of the foot part though... my only thought is to frog them all out and recycle the yarn, removing any ripped bits.

Maybe you could frog them out and then use the yarn to make another pair of socks (with an afterthought heel lol)? It wouldn't be the same but at least they'd be reincarnated so to speak. I don't know how much yarn you'd lose from the rips since I don't know how bad they are...

:think :think :think Could you crochet a false sole to stitch over the worn bit then get a fluffy innersole to put inside and call them slippers.

:think :think :think You could darn the holes before you did this but make sure you dont use knots.

:hug :hug Socks need to be made with a yarn which has some nylon in it because wool on its own is not strong enough.

Good luck with this.

Have fun.

Colleen

Socks need to be made with a yarn which has some nylon in it because wool on its own is not strong enough.

You can use 100% wool yarn, but on the high traffic areas (toes, heels) it's best to carry along some sock reinforcement thread with the wool yarn. You can also use wool-nylon thread that you can find at many fabric stores.

If you can darn the sock, try that. However, if there is a hole in it, you might be able to find an end within the hole, frog back a bit (depending on how your sock was constructed) and add a new heel.

When I crochet socks (but not when I knit them), I always do an afterthought heel, so I'm not too much help there.

Good luck!

Archived