The ideal rug hook??

jimbo

I've made very few hooks that are specially intended for rug hooking. Maybe because I don't know enough about what kind of features would make one really handy for that particular job. So tell me, you hookers of rugs... what features would be present in a really good comfortable and practical rug hook.

I made one a long while back and it's the one pictured in my blog button that The Crochet Dude kindly made for me.. but I'm still wondering about the best

Size?

Shape?

finger grip?

Throat length?

Shank length?

Pointy or dull?

that kind of stuff.

I'd appreciate your input

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo

Not sure I can answer that yet....BUT....I'm just about to start a rag rug...so I'll get back to you. I'll be using my clover hooks but I don't think it will be easy.

Let you know xxx

I make rugs but haven't for some time. Usually it's with something like 4 to 6 strands of worsted weight.

I have an old Boye size N that is really annoying to use because it's too short. It's fat enough and the hook is nicely tapered and yet wide enough to catch all the strands, but it is so short it slides through my palm.

I also have a larger hook that is plastic but much longer. I would like it even more if the shaft had some sort of anti-slip on it because it takes extra oomph to pull along multiple strands. There should be more friction in the handle to counter the oomph needed.

I make rugs but haven't for some time. Usually it's with something like 4 to 6 strands of worsted weight.

I have an old Boye size N that is really annoying to use because it's too short. It's fat enough and the hook is nicely tapered and yet wide enough to catch all the strands, but it is so short it slides through my palm.

I also have a larger hook that is plastic but much longer. I would like it even more if the shaft had some sort of anti-slip on it because it takes extra oomph to pull along multiple strands. There should be more friction in the handle to counter the oomph needed.

Agreed!

But the friction should be comfortable enough that it doesn;t irritate the hand.

(But I maybe be the only crocheter that gets irritated hands... Long hooks are a beautiful thing you know.)

Thanks for the input, kids! I also got a pm about wood hook problems with rug making.. and a propensity for wood hook heads to snap under the extra load. That could be a real consideration too.

I'm taking it all in and appreciate the comments!

Thanks

Jimbo

Archived