Preemie Cap....HELP!

Cordelia

Question

I had a grand idea of whipping up preemie caps this evening...:ohdear Maybe Im over thinking things.

Well I am using this pattern, which is wonderful, quick and simple.

http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns.html?premcap.html

Heres my problem....I made the extra small but it looks like a tiny barbie hat thingy..and I did reach the measurements she suggested..... so I kept going and I am up to 6.5 inchs laid flat, unsewn....and my question is how big is a 2-3 pound baby's head? when laid together as if sewn is measures a bit over 3 inches flat.

I think I need more guidelines than the x-small thru x-large..I need weight in general......any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

May I, respectfully, suggest that a premmie baby would find that cap uncomfortable to lay down on. Premmies do not have the ability to move their heads too much so a cap needs to be very smooth and fine without the turn-up.

The wee turn-up is good when they get a bit bigger.

I know this was not the answer to the question you asked, so I am sorry for butting in.

I have made wee premmie caps by starting at the top with a circle. This eliminates the seam as you join as you go.

Start wirh a fine baby yarn and a hook a size or two bigger than normally used for th yarn.

Chain 4 and join with a slip stitch to form a ring.

Row 1: CH 1, work 8 SC into the ring, join with a slip stitch into the first stitch.

Row 2: CH 1, work 2 SC into each SC. Join. (16 SC.)

Row 3: CH 1, *work 2 SC into first SC, 1 SC into next*, to end of round. Join. (24 SC).

Row 4: CH 1, work as for Row 3 but with 1 SC into next 2 SC between increases. Join. (36 SC)

Row 5: CH 1, work as for Row 3 but with 1SC into next 3 SC between increases. Join, (44 SC)

Now work straight until the length you need. It will look like it is staying flat like a saucer for a few rows after your increases but will eventually become a cup.

Add a shell pattern or Crab Stitch the edge.

You could work another increase row if you want to make it bigger or work an increase row less to make it smaller.

When you have made one hat, you should be able to make bigger or smaller as needed. Just by adding one more SC in the first row will make a huge difference to the size of the hat

A premmie babies head may only be as big as a clenched fist or smaller.

Hope this ishelpful.

Colleen.

I agree with Aggie Mae. (The extra small preemie caps our group makes would probably fit on a lemon.)

I made several "templates" for preemies and newborns. Our crocheters and knitters can flatten the finished hats and lay them on top of the template to be sure the size is correct

Nurses asked our group for preemie and newborn caps with lots of stretch. They also asked that we not add any stitching along the bottom that would restrict the stretch. They showed us a perfect size hat with lots of stretch... but the lady who made it had added just one row of single crochet along the bottom of the hat and it lessened the stretch and was unusable.

I think Micropreemies hats should fit on a golf ball, then preemie hat for a lemon to an orange, depending on the size of the baby, and then newborn grapefruit (although coming out it feels more like a watermelon).

Thanx for all the great input and wonderful suggestions.....I am making several sizes and sending them and whatever dont fit the intended babies can be a donation...think its safer that way....But I plan on calling the closest hospital with a level three nursery so I can get some general measurments....for next time.

BTW I used baby teri it is so soft and easy against the skin....I wish I had a ton more I'd make me a blankie LOL :hook

Thanks again ladies u rock!:manyheart

Archived